What's new

Help with HDTV (1 Viewer)

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Hey everyone. I'm back for more. Everyone on HTF helped me a whole bunch back when I was looking for speakers for a HT system a couple of years back. Well... I've procrastinated enough. I'm going HD... finally. I'm not an expert by any means, so, if any information I have contradicts itself, let me know. I try to be as informed as possible!

Here's what I'm looking for:

Picture is slightly more important than price.

My limit is around $3000, but I'll take suggestions for anything below $5000 (I've waited two years, I can wait a little longer if necessary).

I'm looking for at least 40", but probably more around 55" - 60".

I'm going to use it for many things in this priority:

Video Games (360, PS3 (maybe), Wii (definetely), and a whole slew of old systems)
Movies (DVD, maybe Hi-Def Format to come)
Regular TV (will probably invest in HD programming, but one step at a time :) )

I'd like 1080p, but at this point, I'll consider it a nice bonus, but definetly 1080i, 720p, etc.

HDMI also sounds like a nice future-proofing, but right now it would just be a bonus - XBOX 360 is still using Component Cables and I'm not sure if anyone is sure if Sony's PS3 will jump to HDMI or not yet (?).

I have a receiver, so the amount of inputs isn't of concern, but the variety (HDMI, etc.) could be (I thought I'd mention that since every system uses a different set of connections).

Also, I don't care about the sound quality of the TV speakers or even if there are any, since I already have the 5.1 system.

If any more information is needed, let me know! :)

Thanks in advance!

-=EDIT=- PLEASE LOOK BELOW FOR MORE UPDATED INFORMATION :) -=EDIT=-

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Tim - for $3,000 - $3,500 you have many options including:

- 56" Toshiba DLP (1080p)
- 55" Hitachi Plasma
- 50" Panasonic Plasma
- 46" Samsung LCD
- 45" Sharp Aquos LCD
- 42" Hitachi Plasma
- 42" Pioneer Plasma
- 40" Samsung LCD (1080p)

Plus you have many options with Hitachi Rear Projection LCD's.

Some questions to get you started.. Are you looking for Rear Projection or Flat Panel? What is your viewing distance?

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Flat Panel is preferred, mostly because there's lots of sunlight in the room during the day and rear projectors can be kind of bad in that situation. Also, it would save a lot of space.

The viewing distance is around 7-13 feet (depending on where you're sitting in the room). Also, it would probably add 1 1/2 to 2 feet to the viewing distance if the Flat Panel was wall mounted.

The 50" Panasonic Plasma looks pretty interesting. The Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK. The only thing that worries me a little is the website I looked it up on says it "floats blacks." I'm not quite sure what that means, but I can guess that it's pretty self explanatory.

I really want to make sure that the television can keep up with all the quick moving video games I'll be using it for.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
Hi Tim - Here are some ideal viewing distances:

40" - 8ft
45" - 9ft
50" - 10ft
55" - 11ft

A 50" HDTV is ideal for 9-12ft.

My recommendations would be to review Plasma's and LCD's from Hitachi, Panasonic, Sharp, Samsung, Pioneer and Fijitsu. Also, make sure your panel has at least two HDMI inputs. :)

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I would anticipate you'll need two HDMI inputs in the future:

1. Connect your HD Cable Box in the future
2. Connect a future HD DVD or Blu-Ray, Upconverting DVD, or future gaming console such as a PS3. Or alternatively to connect an HDMI capable receiver.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have a question about HDTV HDMI inputs; and since I am looking for a new display myself, I thought I would post my question here.

Is the HP Pavilion HD5880n and HD6580n currently the only displays that have an HDMI input that accepts 1080p natively? If not, what are some other ones? If so, are there any other makes and models on the horizon that will?

Thanks.

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I'd really like to hear some more opinions on the subject if possible.

I've been looking around at some models...

Sony KDS-R60XBR1
Panasonic TH-50PHD8UK
Panasonic TH-50PX60U

These are the top two in the running so far.

I'd think I would like to definetly eliminate Rear Projection as an option.

Definetly some sort of flat panel display.

Again, I'd really appreciate some input from any and all that care to help. :)

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
I'm really leaning towards the Panasonic TH-50PX60U.

It has the two HDMI inputs. And the price is right.

With Amazon.com I can get the television for just under $2,700 shipped and no tax.

Can anyone offer me advice on a good place to get a service contract? Amazon.com offers one through N.E.W. Customer Service Corporation. It's a 4-year plan for $499.99. Are there better ones out there?

Chris V

Grip
Real Name
chris

I come up with $3400 when I put it in a cart at Amazon. How did you get that price?

russdog

Auditioning
Real Name
Russell
FWIW, here are my thoughts...

1. Don't be so quick to assume that flat panel will work better than rear projection. It certainly was true in the past. But some recent rear projection, such as Sony SXRD, are amazing in many ways, including brightness. They are not huge or cumbersome (tabletop, 18" deep), and are lightweight (

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim

Hmm. Even with sunlight leaking through the blinds directly onto the set? Size isn't the biggest issue. Picture quality, viewability (from angled positions) and compatability with video games are my three major concerns. Price and Size (within reason) are secondary.

Tim Beebe

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim
Well, for what it's worth I can get the Sony KDS-60A2000 from Amazon through OneCall for just under $3,300 shipped no tax.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks