What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help with DVD tracking (1 Viewer)

alan22153

Auditioning
Real Name
al
I need some advice on a DVD issue:

My home theater is still in the infancy stage- I just got a panasonic plasma and I'm in the process of researching AV receivers, speakers, and subwolfers. In the meantime, I'm using a Zenith progressive scan DVD player which is about three years old to watch movies.

I rent from blockbuster once or twice a week to view movies with my kids. As the DVD's from blockbuster have been used (and abused) frequently, there are typically scratches on the DVD's surface. It seems like every other DVD I play will get 'stuck' at some point (some DVD's do this repeatedly).

My plan is to eventually upgrade my DVD player to something with upscaling and possibly recording capabilities as well. In the meantime, I'd like to be able to watch a rented movie all the way through without the 'sticking' issue. Would a higher quality DVD player make a significant difference?

728x90

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Higher quality dvd players may be even worse, for playing scratched discs. They tend to be pickier. Some of the cheapest players tend to play scratched discs better. No need to rush out and buy another player though.

I've not had a need to do this, but I've read that other people say to use some car wax on the disc, and buff it good. Do you clean the discs, before trying to watch? Fingerprints can cause this too............. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oussa13
Recent bookmarks