What's new

Help with dtr-40.7 and Apple TV 4K (1 Viewer)

Zzswhen

Auditioning
Real Name
Shrey
Today we purchased an Apple TV 4K (primarily for the remote) to replace our Apple TV HD. We have an Epson Pro Cinema LS10000 and a Integra DTR-40.7. After swapping out the TVs and turning on our projector I got a black screen and a source not supported message. I assume the issue stems from our projector only being 1080p but I am unable to lower the source output from the DTR-40.7 because I have no clue how to. When I checked the source output displayed on the DTR-40.7 with the Apple TV 4K plugged in its 2160p 59hz, and with the TV HD its 1080p 50hz. Any advice is appreciated!

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Best guess:

The AppleTV is doing an HDMI handshake with the receiver, detecting that the receiver is 4K capable, and defaulting to a 4K signal.

First thing to try: turn everything off, maybe even unplug the AppleTV from the outlet if the light is still on, since it doesn’t have a conventional on/off switch. Power your receiver and projector on first. Then, after the projector is already on, power up the AppleTV. Hopefully it will then do a handshake and recognize that your projector is an HD display and adjust itself accordingly.

If that doesn’t work, try temporarily plugging the AppleTV directly into either the projector or any other TV you have in the house (doesn’t matter if the TV is 4K or not). When it’s plugged in directly, it’ll handshake directly with the display and should adjust itself to whatever is compatible with that display. Once you can actually see it on the screen, go into the settings menu and manually select 1080p output on the device. Once that’s complete, you should then be able to plug it back into the receiver and it should retain those settings.

Sorry for the trouble, this is unusual. Normally it will detect what the display is capable and adjust accordingly but my guess is that the receiver is confusing it.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Exactly what I was going to suggest.

If the first option works, I’d still set the output as recommended in the second option to avoid future problems.

Zzswhen

Auditioning
Real Name
Shrey
Best guess:

The AppleTV is doing an HDMI handshake with the receiver, detecting that the receiver is 4K capable, and defaulting to a 4K signal.

First thing to try: turn everything off, maybe even unplug the AppleTV from the outlet if the light is still on, since it doesn’t have a conventional on/off switch. Power your receiver and projector on first. Then, after the projector is already on, power up the AppleTV. Hopefully it will then do a handshake and recognize that your projector is an HD display and adjust itself accordingly.

If that doesn’t work, try temporarily plugging the AppleTV directly into either the projector or any other TV you have in the house (doesn’t matter if the TV is 4K or not). When it’s plugged in directly, it’ll handshake directly with the display and should adjust itself to whatever is compatible with that display. Once you can actually see it on the screen, go into the settings menu and manually select 1080p output on the device. Once that’s complete, you should then be able to plug it back into the receiver and it should retain those settings.

Sorry for the trouble, this is unusual. Normally it will detect what the display is capable and adjust accordingly but my guess is that the receiver is confusing it.
The first suggestion did not solve the issue, and the second suggestion was tried previously and the Apple TV successfully works with a secondary display but when I try to plug the projector directly into it I get at the most moments of flickering and maybe half a second of the Apple logo. Even after I manually set the resolution with a secondary display and then plug it back into the receiver the receiver still seems to take precedence and change the resolution back to 4k. I tried cycling through all the resolutions by holding down the home button and volume down button but after about half an hour I got no results.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The first suggestion did not solve the issue, and the second suggestion was tried previously and the Apple TV successfully works with a secondary display but when I try to plug the projector directly into it I get at the most moments of flickering and maybe half a second of the Apple logo. Even after I manually set the resolution with a secondary display and then plug it back into the receiver the receiver still seems to take precedence and change the resolution back to 4k. I tried cycling through all the resolutions by holding down the home button and volume down button but after about half an hour I got no results.

Wait. Are you saying the ATV4K won't stay at 1080p even after you manually set it that way (w/ help of 2ndary display) and not leave it on auto?

_Man_

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
The cable running to our projector is quite long, but with our old Apple TV and with the receiver everything works fine.

How long?

It's quite possible it's too long for 4K, which may compound your problem given what you're saying...

Is there a way to force your AVR to stick w/ 1080p?

_Man_

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The cable running to our projector is quite long, but with our old Apple TV and with the receiver everything works fine.
Regardless, that’s most likely the problem. The flickering supports that theory.

Zzswhen

Auditioning
Real Name
Shrey
How long?

It's quite possible it's too long for 4K, which may compound your problem given what you're saying...

Is there a way to force your AVR to stick w/ 1080p?

_Man_
I don’t know how to force the AVR to stick with 1080p, I was hoping maybe someone on this forum knew how haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks