What's new

Help with download speeds (1 Viewer)

James_S

Second Unit
I am looking for some help here – I have signed up for DSl service and I can surf the internet fast and great, but when it comes downing loading music, programs or anything else it takes awhile, seems as slow as it was when I using dial-up.

I have checked on a couple of sites for speeds and I am running at 130kps, but downloading I am only running at 10.7kps. It takes about 8 +/- minutes to download a 3.0 mb file.

I called customer no service and the said it may have to do with my system resources… (currently running between 57% and 85%)

Am I set-up wrong? What can I do? Help

James

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
what are you using to download stuff?
i'm using a combination of kazaalite/dietkazaa. the dietkazaa has some sort of "accelerator" thing-a-ma-jig.
all i know is it works. i average in the high 40's.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator
Some servers are slower than others. Try downloading a file from download.com and see what speed you get. I have a 1.5Mb cable connection. Some sites I get 120Kbs or higher, other sites, around 50Kbs. I've even been to some sites that barely squeek out 6Kbs.
Try this TWEAK TEST from DSL Reports.
Randy T

Scott "E"

Second Unit
I recommend doing a trace route to the IP or domain of the file you're trying to download, this way if you do call your ISP you will have a reference to look at. On anther note you may find it's not your ISP at all, but rather one of their backbone providers, Level 3, Allegiance, etc. I would try this first before messing around with your settings.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
do you get those speeds no matter where you download from? if so, then i suspect it's something on "your side". but, if you get decent speeds from some places, but not others, than it's probably just the sites you're trying to download from.

definitely run the bandwidth tests and let us know how those turn out.

Jeff Peake

Supporting Actor
James:

What speed is your DSL supposed to operate at??

When you say 130kps, do you mean 130 k Bytes/sec or Bits/sec????

When you download things in IE, and see 10kbps, that is 10k Bytes. If your DSL is 144/144, then that speed is about right.

1 byte = 8 bits.

My DSL is 384/384 kbits/sec. So when downloading in IE, it shows my speed around 40-50 cause it shows it in Bytes.

Jeff

Michael Silla

Second Unit
What Jeff said.

It's hard to troubleshoot if information like that isn't reported. As well, how far away from the CO are you?. I currently have 1500/128 service and I regularly see 1250/320 ACTUAL download speeds. Barring any unusual circumstances, you should be seeing at best ~80% of your advertised line speed.

Michael.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks