What's new

4K Firestick Help (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
So I have a 4K Firestick hooked up via LAN running through a new Onkyo receiver to a 4K LG OLED. Yet for some reason the stick will only achieve 1080p even when I lock the display setting to 4K. I ran a speed test and got 93 Mbps which should be more than enough but the test says “Based on your latest test results, your internet speed can support up to 1080p video quality without interruptions” I still get Dolby Vision but indeed when I check on the LG status itself, it as well only indicates 1080p.

Anything I am doing wrong here or a setting i need to change?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've never used any Roku devices, and maybe @Todd Erwin can help on that front, but my experience is that it tends to take higher bandwidth than that to get a reliable 4K stream. My experience is that it doesn't use a steady stream, but takes big "gulps" of data at a high speed. I've monitored the downloads during a 4K stream and when it's buffering, it'll be at as much as 250Mb/s. When my internet speed was 75Mb/s I could barely get a HD stream. It wasn't until I bumped it up to 500Mb/s that even HD streams were solid, not to mention 4K.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t have any of your specific devices so this is more of a general troubleshooting suggestion - are all ports in that Onkyo rated for 4K input, or does it have a mix of 4K and 1080p inputs?

Are the HDMI cables running from the Onkyo to the TV rated for 4K?

When you say that you’ve locked the setting to 4K, was that on the Onkyo or the Firestick or both?

Is the content you’ve selected to view actually in 4K? Todd has documented a good number of horror stories about some Amazon titles not being provided in 4K even though his purchase of a title should have provided that level of quality. If the Firestick is trying to play something from your Amazon account, that could be a factor.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
What app is this occurring on? Is it happening on multiple apps? What are the display settings on the Onkyo? What are the display settings on the FireStick?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Also, my experience with Prime Video, regardless of device, takes much longer to achieve UHD than any other app I normally use.

gregw78

Grip
Real Name
Greg Wilde
Are the inputs on the receiver and the TV set to 4k "enhanced"? TVs and receivers are shipped set to the lower hdmi setting to maximize compatibility with cable boxes so you have to change them in the menus.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
First thing I'd do in this situation is bypass the Onkyo. If you're able to get 4K directly from the Firestick to the TV then that pretty much tells you where the issue lies.

edee_em

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eddie Marano
To ask the dumb/obvious question, are your sources 4k? I know some streamers (Netflix) you have to upgrade your service to be able to achieve 4k. When I first started with Netflix I had the standard service. I had to upgrade to HD service before i would get 1080p. I don't have 4k TV yet but I imagine it will cost me more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks