What's new

help with blu ray upscaling (1 Viewer)

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
two friends of mine both bought a Sony blu ray player. tjhey both claim that the instructions say it will make a redular dvd play in 1080 p How is this possible ? or is this just hype.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
If they have a fixed pixel display (LCD or DLP) with a native resolution of 1920x1080p then EVERY source, no matter what it is (VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray) will be upscaled to 1080p because that's the only resolution the set is capable of displaying.

No additional detail is added to the picture, rather image processing tools interpolate the image when they expand it to the higher resolution. Back in the early days of "progressive scan" 480p displays, these video processors were frequently called "line doublers" because that's basically what they did - create estimated scan lines in between each of the actual scan lines of the picture data (precisely how this was done varied from manufacturer to manufacturer) to take a 480i image and create a 480p image.

Whether or not this processing is best done by the player, A/V Receiver, or display (all three generally have this capability) usually depends on which device has the best video processor (if you can even tell the difference - it's getting harder and harder every year and if all your devices have processors of similar "quality" then it will be even harder to tell which is better.

lolcomlol

Auditioning
Real Name
wealth mass
We are a big china jerseys wholesaler . We have NFL Team player`s number sewn on the chest and sleeves Player`s name sewn at the upper back on a sewn down nameplate MLB We have athletic and collbase jerseys All name and number sewn on .Whith team sign and player number sewn on the chest,Player name sewn on the back of jerseys. NHL Team player`s number sewn on the chest and sleeves Player`s name sewn at the upper back on a sewn down nameplate NBA It is nike or adidas brand Jerseys. All of my product is high quality and lowest price . Mix Order Big discount for big order!If you have any questions Please feel free to contact us

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
There have been tons of discussions about DVD upscaling which is something that every blu-ray player has been able to do since the inception of the format. And you are just now hearing about it, five years later?:confused:
Joe Caps said:
two friends of mine both bought a Sony blu ray player. tjhey both claim that the instructions say it will make a redular dvd play in 1080 p How is this possible ? or is this just hype.

Joe Caps

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the put down Mark-P I've only had blu ray for a short time. Graciousness has been around forever. Juswt heard of it?

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Jason was gracious in his answer... :) But, yes, Blu-ray players will upconvert DVD to 1080p. Especially when connected to the panel via HDMI. However, as Jason said, it's dependent on how the converters handles the upconversion. Essentially, while the image on screen is a 1080p image, if the source was a DVD, then pretty much what you get is that every single pixel of the DVD is spread out over a square of 4 to 9 pixels on the final 1080p image. The image is scaled up, and the quality of the converters determines how well that scaling is blended. But, you won't get any more actual detail of a real 1080p source, because it just ain't there. It's the same final result whether it's a DVD played in a Blu-ray player and sent to the set in 1080p format, or if it's a DVD player sending a 480p image to a 1080p set and the set does the conversion on it's way to the screen.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Another important thing to remember is to only let one device tamper with the resolution. If your BR player is a good one then let it do it, otherwise most displays are more than capable. I leave the receiver out of the video processing. I use it as a switcher only.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks