help...what amp and why confusion?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David_Wh, May 9, 2002.

1. David_Wh

David_Wh Stunt Coordinator

I am seriously considering purchasing the Outlaw 950. I havent quite talked myself into it yet. I have about 1 more day left to place my order or I lose it.
    If I get the 950 I have no idea of what kind of amp I am going to need to buy. Obviously at least a 5 channel. I am really really looking to find something that is

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

You can find several multi-channel amps on audiogon.com and eBay for $600 or less, especially if you're willing to go slightly used. The Sherwood Newcastle AM-9080 is a great 5 channel amp and you can find them for as little as $400 sometimes (although that seems to be increasing as the word gets out).

--Steve

3. David_Wh

David_Wh Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the reply Steve. Does anyone have any other thoughts? Please help me out.

David

4. Chris Demaree

Chris Demaree Stunt Coordinator

I am using a Parasound HCA-855a. It is rated at 85wpc x 5, but has NO problem driving my Studio 20's & CC. I purchased it used for $400+ shipping.

5. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

I've got a Parasound 855 on the way!!! I purchased it brand new for $525 incl. shipping.
    Other contenders were the aforementioned Sherwood 9080, the Rotel 985, and the Marantz MM9000. That last one slipped under my radar right here on HTF [​IMG]
    All these were in your general price ballpark with the exception of the Marantz, which was a wee bit more expensive.

6. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Check out my reply
    here