What's new

Help Recommend a Workout Program for Me (1 Viewer)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I took them down becuase I felt like I was bragging.I'll put it back up.

Once again, about a 3 month difference between the first pic and the others. First pic I was depressed and about 25 pounds overweight. I used doggcrapp for about 3 months and these were the results - even without the proper calorie intake and only getting about 4 hours sleep a night. Also took about 3 weeks to a month just to get used to being back in the gym.

http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/2634/66317006.jpg

Im still going to the gym right now. Not quite that size anymore as Ive been dealing with a shoulder issue. Not sure how I hurt it, wasnt in the gym.

But Id recommed the routine to anyone who wants to see results in a short amount of time. Follow it the best you can and the extreme stretches shouldnt be skipped. Even thought Im not doing the routine now, I do do the stretches after each workout. DC training is really for medium or advanced weight lifters, but even using the routine as a general guideline will get you some nice results if you really work hard at it. I gave the routine to a beginner, who loved it and customized the routine a bit for himself and got great gains as well. For instance the first month, because my weights were a lower volume, I did 2 sets instead of 1. But even I was shocked how fast my weights went up. Use youre own judgement - BUT BE CAREFUL! Never sacrifice good form!

Heres a pic of how to do the stretches properly. Extreme stretches for lats, chest, triceps and quads SUCK!!!!
http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/8...tretches66.jpg

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Nah. It ain't braggin'. It's the results of hard work.

I just figured you had second thoughts about putting pix of yourself on the 'net.

But those are impressive results and I'm now intrigued by your comments about the stretching. I can't tell you how I have to force myself to remember to stretch--even before doing the cardio stuff. For some reason it seems to "secondary" to me...even though I intellectually "get" that the stretches are just as important as the actual exercises.

My wife and I, who have each lost about 40 pounds over the last year or so, have been on a miserable weight-loss plateau now for a couple of months and really want to step things up. That's why we joined the gym...but we are pretty ignorant about how to maximize our efforts to continue our journey.

Matt^Brown

Supporting Actor

I have a hard time remembering to stretch as well and I really don't enjoy it when I do. I worked out for about 6 years straight and my wife was always riding me about how unflexible I was. I guess if I am going to start back I should try to do it right this time.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I just figured you had second thoughts about putting pix of yourself on the 'net. "
Well that too.

I do stretch in between each sets briefly. I didnt when I was younger, but Im not so young anymore and have pretty bad arthritis - so I do it.
These "extreme stretches" are for hitting the bodyparts you just worked. These are done at the END of each bodypart.

Mike, Adding some good weight lifting, going on the treadmill at a higher effort rate are the type of things that can help you get over that plateau.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Thanks, Jon. And that's what we've decided to do: work it just a little bit harder...AND be extra aware of what we're putting in our mouths. Although we've made a wholesale change of our eating habits, we figure maybe we've gotten a bit sloppy on the amounts of what we're eating.

This is tough stuff!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
To me, weight loss just follows naturally after becoming more active. After I quit my last desk-job and began home remodeling projects full-time, I dropped from around 230 to 205. And as I remind people, that was on the "beer and pizza" diet.

Sitting at a desk all day is the real killer.

Mike, your problem may have to do with getting one kid married off and the other off to college. You have been cooking for 4 for so many years....you need to cut back. And those two young people who left your table were probably the most voracious eaters in the house. I'm sure some kind of portion control is the most important thing for you. Rather than cutting back 1/2 you probably need to cut back 2/3 on a household basis.

Plus more pizza. :laugh:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Couldn't agree more.

I look around and see really obese people everywhere. What we've become as a society in the United States is embarrassing. The foods we eat combined with the complete lack of activity most of us have in our daily lives is a pairing that has lead us to become a nation of sedentary, unhealthy people.

Now I realize that last paragraph is not ground-breaking news in a long shot. But it bugs me that many people are conditioned to not see that the problem lies within.

I wanted to stop at the pizza shop on the way home from the gym tonight in the worst way! :D

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What's really odd is how much worse "restaurant" food is for you. I can cook a similar menu item and I know it's got a lot less fat and sodium in it.

Tonight: chicken Marsala over noodles.

1 boneless chicken breast, cut into smaller pieces so it'll cook faster. Marinate in balsamic vinegar and olive oil for an hour or so (maybe add some basil and paprika). Cut up an onion and 5 cloves of garlic, brown in saute pan with olive oil . When onions begin to caramalize, throw in chicken and cook on all sides. Toss in sliced mushrooms, cook somewhat, deglaze the pan with Marsala, cover and simmer.

Toss egg noodles in a pan of boiling water. When done, drain, put in bowl, cover with chicken Marsala.

Eat with copious quantities of Cabernet to cut your cholesterol via the "French effect".

Hey, it works for me! :laugh:

My point though is that a restaurant would cook the onion/chicken in bacon fat and throw in huge amounts of salt.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Yes portions mean alot when it comes to loosing or maintaining your weight.

The old rule was that each portion should be able to fit into the palm of your hand. I had a neighbor a few years ago who dropped about 30 or 40 pounds just by drastically reducing his portions, not even changing what he ate.

We've gotten used to filling our plates and its really not good for us.

Thats another good thing about exercising and trying to build muscle, another meal isnt too far away
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Tip for those thrying to put on some muscle: One thing I did because I just didnt have the appetite to eat so many grams of protein a day, was to drink a glass of milk every hour or 2 in between meals.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Sitting at a desk all day is the real killer."

Yes it is - in more ways than one. I often came home from IBM annoyed, frustrated, pissed off,tense,etc. Very different from being tired from a days work doing tile (which can actually make you feel good. Knowing you accomplished something for the day).
But your right, I look at some of these people and say who do you ever let yourself go that badly.Even when I was depressed (and Ive had depression issues all my life) and gained some weight like in the pic above, I said "I have to snap out of it". I have to sometimes force myself to go to the gym when I dont feel like going at all.

"I look around and see really obese people everywhere. What we've become as a society in the United States is embarrassing. The foods we eat combined with the complete lack of activity most of us have in our daily lives is a pairing that has lead us to become a nation of sedentary, unhealthy people."

There isnt any balance anymore. Kids and people I think have just become so lazy. I played hours of intellivision as a kid, pissed away hours watching movies and reading comic books - but I walked or rode my bike everywhere, played football or baseball everyday and so on. My G/Fs kids dont do ANYTHING. No sports, they dont ride bikes, they dont walk anywhere. They come home from school and go right onto their laptops to play games with kids from wherever - and theyre both overweight(severely IMHO).

I know people are busy, but just 45 minutes a day dedicated to exercise can make a real difference.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

A HUGE difference.

It seems so weird to have to go to a gym to engage in exercise...but since so much of 21st century life in the US doesn't lead to exercise opportunities on a daily basis: you do what you have to do.

But, people have to want it. I know it took me a long time to realize that I needed to do something about my situation. While I hadn't let myself get morbidly obese, I had obviously allowed things to get enough out of hand that losing 40+ pounds over the last year has been one of the best recent accomplishments of my life! :emoji_thumbsup:

And now, with renewed energy and an uplifted spirit, I want to take it to the next level and start to get into an even better physical shape and get my body to do things it hasn't been able to do since I was a young man.

===========

I know where you are coming from about your G/Fs kids. Because of all the weirdness in today's society the options for kids to just take off on their bikes around their neighborhood are really limited. We cart them everywhere and practically encourage them to participate in regimented schedules of activities and limited social interaction...leading to the situation you mentioned: isolation and limited physical activity. It is a challenge for parents to realize they need to set proper examples for their kids to be able to pick up positive habits in those areas.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I'm reluctant to post in this topic because it might put pressure on myself to
try and do something that I may not do, lose weight.

I'm probably only 15 or 20 pounds over what i should be for my body.
I'm about 200 but my feel good weight is 180-185.

My problem is discipline, lack of any.
My wife and I have a membership at planet fitness about 12 months now.

she works 4-6, 12 hour shifts a week so it's not so easy for her
to take the time for the gym or much of anything.

I work 3-5 days a week at a video store and have a flexible schedule
so I really don't have an excuse.

I just don't make myself go, I also bought a bike last summer
that I want to use but just don't.

Don't need to gain any muscle weight although I could use a bit
of added muscle strength.

If I could get myself in there and on a treadmill for about
45 minutes 3 times a week I would feel much better.

My wife keeps threatening to cancel the membership even though it's only $10
a month for me and $15 for her because she gets a tanning booth.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

What Jon says, Tony. I'm kicking myself for taking so long to figure this out.

Although for my wife and I it all kicked in after we cleared the kids out of the house and we decided to start doing things for ourselves. Actually, it's worked out for us that while our son is home from college he tags along with us to the gym.

What's cool is that once you start seeing results (and feeling better) it feeds on itself and you want to keep it up (eat less, exercise more).

Go for it! And maybe if you start going...your wife will figure out how to find the time too!

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
I am amazed at how many kids at my childrens school are overweight. I don't understand how kids today are not as active as they should be. My kids are very active (biking, swimming, volleyball, skateboarding) and they know they are not allowed to just plop down in front of television for hours on end.

When I was younger we played outside for hours after school and on the weekends. My parents didn't let us just sit around. We were involved in many extra curricular activities and sports, so there really wasn't time to do nothing.

It's hard to get motivated to do things, but just remember that you will feel so much better if you get up and stay active. Find something you enjoy doing, if the gym isn't motivating you. Try joining a sport league or going for walks/hikes. I think people sign up for gyms with good intentions, but gyms turn people off after a while. Just go outside and play, it's free and is a lot more fun.

Michael_K_Sr

Screenwriter
Real Name
MichaelK
Finally decided a month or so ago to make some serious improvements in my life. I'm not getting any younger and it's not going to get any easier to shed pounds as the years go on. Basically I've managed to drop about twenty pounds and about 30 points on my cholesterol score since my checkup three months ago. The problem I have now is finding a way to get protein into my diet. Based on most charts I've seen, I need to take in about 110g of protein a day. I find this nearly impossible when I have been trying to cut back on the meats I eat...especially red meat. What are some good alternative protein sources? Do I need to take some sort of supplement?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Michael: I cannot tell you how much turkey I've eaten over the past year and a half! :D Seriously. But even with turkey...you want to make sure it's low-fat. Ground turkey, for example, comes in different lean/fat ratios like ground hamburger. You want to look for the 99% lean in the market.

And there's always beans of course (white, kidney, etc.).

Mmmm. Some chili made with lean ground turkey is sounding really good right now! ;)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Mike,
Unless youre lifting weights, I wouldnt obsess too much about getting in the "proper amounts of protein". You should lift weights as itll encourage fat to disappear and not muscle. And remember muscle weighs more than fat! Go by the mirror and not the scale.

Heres a few things I do when exercising since when Im weight lifting I need to take in over 200 grams of protein a day (Im 235 lbs right now)

- Frequent glasses of whole milk in between meals.
- Protein shakes. I used to have one every morning and before bed.
- Load up on casein proteins - such as cottage cheese. Caseins, unlike whey, stays in your system for much longer periods of time. Whey is in and out of your system in a few hours. Casein isnt.
- Whole wheats breads, PB sandwiches, tuna and eggs are all great ways to keep your protein up.
- Fish is very high in protein, full of omega3s and great for your cholestorol.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks