What's new

Help please with older receiver and DVD player with DD and DTS decoders (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
I have a Nakamichi receiver that has pre-outs and main-ins for 5 channels. I used a Technics SH-AC500D that now has a problem.

I found an inexpensive DVD player with DD and DTS decoders built in, but now I am having trouble figuring out how to make the Nak work with the new DVD player.

Any and all help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
In the DVD player's menu, you most likely have to configure the output from digital, which is probably the default, to analog. This also means you will have to do all the setup (speaker size, distance, etc...) on the DVD player.

If you have already done this, then we need more info to help you.

Tom Garvey

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't know you could do this (I think you can't) without 5.1 Direct channel inputs? I mean.. what mode are you going to put the Nak in?

BTW... What the heck are the "main" ins for?

JackS

Supporting Actor
Just make the 6 analog out connections from the DVP to the pre-ins on the Nak. No coax or optical connection is possible(to my knowledge) when using the decoder in the player.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
John

I got the DVD player set up to output analog. I connected the 5 channels to the main-ins on the Nak. The subwoofer is connected directly from the sub out on the DVD to the line in on my sub.

The problem now is that the volume control on the Nak does not function (probably because the pre-outs are not connected).

I turned the individual speaker output levels on the DVD player to the lowest setting and the volume of the 5 channels is too loud and as I said I don't know if it is possible to get the volume control on the Nak to work with the arrangement I have described.

1)Is there a way to make the volume control work having disconnected the pre-outs and using the main-ins? Possibly some kind of loop? Perhaps with a Y adaptor having 1 female end and 2 male ends? Splitting the signal from the DVD and sending one side of the Y to the pre-ins and the other side to the main outs?

2) If the Y adaptor loop works for the DVD will any other input be usable? Such as CD?

3) If there is no direct way to get the volume control working a set of pads to reduce the signal from the DVD would bring the volume down, but it seems that I would lose remote control of the volume. Changing the pads manually every time would be a pain.

I found that I have 1 Y adaptor as described above. I am going to try it on one channel, the center.

Jack

They are pre-outs rather than pre-ins.

Tom

Not completely sure what you mean by mode, but as currently configured, any input I select it still works the same. If you mean by mode ProLogic or some other mode I have the Nak set to add no processing.

Thanks to all.

Now I am going to try the Y adaptor and see what happens to that one channel.

Artie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks