Help Please! Region Free, Component Upconverting Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by ranaing83, Sep 9, 2006.

1. ranaing83

ranaing83 Auditioning

Hello All,

I have been searching and searching all over the net for the past few days, and have yet to come to a solid concensus. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I am looking for the best region-free dvd player, that can also upconvert to high definition (720p or higher), but it has to upconvert through component cables. I unfortunately have a pioneer pdp-5030 which has no hdmi or dvi inputs. Please, anyone with any opinions or with actual experience in this area, I would really appreciate any help. I have read that the samsung dvd-hd950 is good. True?

Thank You,
    Richard

2. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    I don't know if its possible to upconvert with componets. I think you need either DVI or HDMI.

I would stay away from samsung.. its not that good of a dvd player.

Jacob

3. ranaing83

ranaing83 Auditioning

Anyone else with any knowledge on this subject? I have been reading more about the advantages/disadvantages of an upscaling sd-dvd player. My Pioneer 5030hd screen supposedly scales all images to 768 progressive. Is that better than 480p? Should I look for an upscaling dvd player or is the image from my current progressive dvd player already being upscaled?

I am so confused/frustrated over how complicated this all is. Does anyone who has a similar setup have any advice. I need the player to be region free and good with pal discs. My main concerns are getting a sharp, clear image, one that is free of jaggy edges especially.

4. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    I wouldn't waste the money for an upconverting player. Yes, 768p is better than 480p. Your TV apparently is upconverting the signal already.