What's new

Help Please! Region Free, Component Upconverting Player (1 Viewer)

ranaing83

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Hello All,

I have been searching and searching all over the net for the past few days, and have yet to come to a solid concensus. I was hoping someone could help me out.

I am looking for the best region-free dvd player, that can also upconvert to high definition (720p or higher), but it has to upconvert through component cables. I unfortunately have a pioneer pdp-5030 which has no hdmi or dvi inputs. Please, anyone with any opinions or with actual experience in this area, I would really appreciate any help. I have read that the samsung dvd-hd950 is good. True?

Thank You,
Richard

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I don't know if its possible to upconvert with componets. I think you need either DVI or HDMI.

I would stay away from samsung.. its not that good of a dvd player.

Jacob

ranaing83

Auditioning
Real Name
Richard
Anyone else with any knowledge on this subject? I have been reading more about the advantages/disadvantages of an upscaling sd-dvd player. My Pioneer 5030hd screen supposedly scales all images to 768 progressive. Is that better than 480p? Should I look for an upscaling dvd player or is the image from my current progressive dvd player already being upscaled?

I am so confused/frustrated over how complicated this all is. Does anyone who has a similar setup have any advice. I need the player to be region free and good with pal discs. My main concerns are getting a sharp, clear image, one that is free of jaggy edges especially.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I wouldn't waste the money for an upconverting player. Yes, 768p is better than 480p. Your TV apparently is upconverting the signal already.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks