What's new

Help picking 1m cable, video switching w/25ft cable (1 Viewer)

When I put in some laminate floors last year, I put two 25 ft Monster 3 video cables (component and S-video) under the borders in prep for some HT purchases (TV on different wall than audio rack). After a long wait, I just bought a Mits 55908 RPTV and an Onkyo 989 receiver. Now I'm thinking I might want the convenience of using the video switching (40 MHz) on my receiver. If I do this, should I just buy a 1m Monster component cable or will I notice the difference for this setup if I buy the Bettercable's Silver Serpentine cable? For the VCR, I'm thinking of just using one of the cheap, short S-video cables I already have for now (a mistake, or will it hardly matter for watching VHS?). Am I being foolish for wasting the $100 I already sunk in the Monster 3 25ft S-video cable and for paying MORE money for a 1m cable just to have the convenience of video switching?

dougW

Stunt Coordinator
Unless your pre-processor or receiver has broadcast quality video sections, you will likely experience a degrading of video quality by using the switching. What some people do is setup both. S-video for video switching, and component straight from DVD to RPTV. Of course, the flexibility of your DVD player come into play as to whtether it can handle both hookups at the same time. For example, my Pioneer 434 DVD player actually has a manual switch on the back to change between the two. Sort of sucks. But for my cable test system, it's no problem as I keep it highly mobile anyway to flip it around to change cables in a flash. :) Can't try it on my main system, as it doesn't have component. Since the MC-1 is broadcast quality video, I don't feel I have an appreciable loss by switching there.
Lex
------------------
Lexman's Theater

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks