What's new

Help on new TV (1 Viewer)

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian
I am looking to purchase a new TV in the next few months, and hoping for some opinions and advice. I have narrowed my search down to the following 2models:

Samsung HS-S5073
Panasonic TH-50PX60U

Both are similarly priced, and offer many of the same features. The main things I cannot find on the Panasonic are the game mode, and pixel shift feature on the Samsung. Does anyone own either of these TV's? or have an opinion on either? Are there any other similar sized/price plasma's that I should be looking at?

The TV is going to be the start of our HT set up, and I wil be adding pieces over time. Currently it will be only hooked up to DirecTV and an Xbox (not Xbox 360) I am assuming there will be no problems in using the Xbox on either TV (this is why I noticed the game mode feature of the Samsung) I don't play games for huge periods of time, but do play games. We will probably only be sitting about 10 feet away from the TV, will the picture look really poor at this distance? (we are looking to buy a new larger house in the not too distant future, and did not want to get a smaller TV which would look stupid in a larger room).

Also (and I read the burn in sticky at the top) how likely are these to suffer from burn in? I realize that any TV can suffer, and have read that newer plasma screens are not as susceptible to burn in. However the last post on the sticky is from someone with a Samsung and has experienced burn in on his screen. I have read that the Samsung offers various methods to reduce burn in, and (somehow) clear burn in, but this sort of thing does worry me on a $3000 TV.

I don't have too much experience looking at TV's, up until now have just owned basic 4:3 CRT's so am hoping for some good advice, especially considering how much I will be spending on a plasma.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
For 720p, a 50" set is absolutely ideal for 10 feet viewing distance. You're right on the mark.

naiku

Grip
Real Name
Ian

You are the second person who has recommended the Panasonic to me. Thanks.

I have a quick question though, what is the difference between the TH-50PX60U and the TH-50PX600U. I see that the 600U is 1080p compatible (via direct input, although not 100% sure what this means) and has better built in sound (although I will ulimately be using external speakers) and a cable card slot / PC input (not that I can see me using either of these).

Which is a newer model? and if I can find the 600U within my budget, is this a better set to go for?

With regards to gaming, I think I will just hook the Xbox up to the CRT in another room :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks