What's new

Help--newby Confused About Connecting A/v Components (1 Viewer)

TerryD

Auditioning
HELP ME PLEASE, HERE IS MY CURRENT EQUIPMENT:

TV: SONY KV36FV27

RECEIVER: HARMAN KARDON AVR520

VCR: SONY SLVN81

DVD: SAMSUNG (DON'T KNOW MODEL #)

IT HAS S-VIDEO & COMPOSITE ONLY

SPEAKERS: POLK RM7200

SATELITTE: SONY DIRECTV (S-VIDEO & COMPOSITE ONLY)

I SPENT ABOUT 5HRS ATTEMPTING TO HOOK EVERYTHING UP, BUT JUST COULD NOT DO IT PROPERLY. I ATTEMPTED TO FOLLOW THE

H/K MANUAL, BUT IT WAS JUST PLAIN CONFUSING.

ANY HELP YOU GUYS COULD GIVE ME WOULD BE APRRECIATED.

THANKS

TERRY

Dave Schofield

Second Unit
Personally, a DVD player with DigitalCoax/Optical and Component outputs would be the first thing I'd do. I picked up a cheap Sony player for $150 last year with those outs on it. It'll free up the S-Video for use with your sat. receiver and get you to Dolby Digital... Otherwise it should be pretty straight forward.

Also, how is your Wega? I'm looking at buying that very model in the next few months. Where did you get it, how much did you pay, etc? Thanks!

Sorry I couldn't really help much.

Charles L.

Agent
TerryD Im not familiar with all the equipment you've listed, but I'll go out on a limb and assume that this connection scheme will work

firt composite(yellow is video, white is the left audio channel, and any other color is the right audio channel ie. black or red) composite out of the satellite rec. to the composite in of the vcr. Set the vcr to the appropriate input line 1, line 2 etc. composite out of the vcr to the tv line 1 in. The Sony tv should allow you name that input "VCR" in the set-up menu. I would do this to lessen any confusion. If you go this way you will still need to connect audio out of the tv(again access the tvs menu to turn the tv's speakers off and set the output to fixed)to vcr audio in of the audio rec. the other way is composite/rca out of the vcr to the audio rec and then composite monitor out the tv. I like the first way because if you hook up another source directly to the tv, OTA camcorder, etc the audio always goes to audio rec.

Before proceeding turn all three pieces of equipment on and test for correct wiring. put a tape in the vcr and test that as well. when you're satsified continue with the rest.

"Satellite Contiued" S-video out of the satellite to the audio rec. "sat, video 1, TV etc" your choice. S-video "Monitor out" of the audio rec to S-video in of the tv. You'll probably have access the tv's menu to turn the S-vedeo input on .

If the satellite rec. has a fiber optic "digital connection" connect it to the corresponding video iput or any digital input and then assign it to the video source. If not connect the audio by rca's to the corresponding input. Now check the operation of the connections before going on.

The dvd connections will be the same as "satellite rec." You should have at least one type of digital connection here. Coaxial or fiber optic.

I hope I didn't leave anything out or confuse you on anything.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
To get the most convienient operation, try thinking in reverse, starting with the video connection to the TV from the AVR - On the AVR there's a 'monitor out' video connector (** S or Composite, you may need to try both, see below). Run that to the Vid 1 input on the back of the Sony.

Next, connect the DVD s-video cable to the AVR's s-vid dvd input.

Connect the VCR composite/LR audio to the VCR in.

And finally run the Sat to the Sat in, S-vid?

** The only problem with this is that you are using both an s-video and a composite, and I don't really know if the composite is up-converted to S-vid by the AVR....so you may need to run composite to the TV from the AVR. Try both to see what works.

When you select the source on the remote, the video will be passed on automatically....

Let us know what happens!

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Miniscule hints:
Almost all A/V receivers will not cross feed the composite inputs to the S-video monitor output. Therefore if you use S-video for some source material you will need to run both composite and S-video cables to the TV.
Many TV sets, especially those with only one yellow video jack and only one S-video jack and only one selection on the remote for A/V or camera or video -- will not work with both of those jacks occupied. If this is the case you need a new TV. Very irritating problem that should tip the scales in favor of giving away as opposed to fixing an old broken TV.
Any composite to S-video converter purchased separately for less than USD $150. will degrade the picture quality from just about anything other than VHS tape playback, compared with composite direct to the TV.
Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Selden Ball

Second Unit
Real Name
Selden
Terry,

How have things gone for you?

Have you managed to get things working yet?

I'd urge that you first get everything working using just the commposite video connections. When you're sure that works, then switch to using s-video for everything. Trying to use both types of signals can be confusing, especially if your TV disables composite when an s-video connector is plugged in.

While Alan is correct as far as he goes, inexpensive ($10-$30) composite-to-s-video adaptors from Radio Shack are usually appropriate for use with a standard VHS VCR. Especially if you're running it at the slowest speed for timeshifting, you really won't notice the slight decrease in picture quality.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
I just read in my own AVR110 manual that video sources may only be viewed in their native format.

Composite in needs to be composite out, etc.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks