What's new

Help needed ,STAR TREK fans ! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
so you had Tasha die near the end of series one only to appear in the next two episodes
I think you meant "the next episode". Reappearences in later seasons aside, there was only one episode of TNG produced with Crosby not-yet-gone after "Skin of Evil", and that was "Symbiosis". So they filmed SoE with the Tasha death scene, then they filmed Sym, but they aired them in opposite order. Note that the final scene Crosby was ever filmed in as a regular cast member was the final scene of Symbiosis, where Picard and Dr. Crusher are leaving the cargo area and walking away from Tasha. As P & C exit through the double-doors, if you look between their heads you can see Yar in the distance leaning sideways and "waving goodbye", as it was the last time she ever expected to be on-camera in the show.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of having them presented in air-date order yet again. We've had that for years in syndication and on VHS and laserdisc. It's about time it was seen in production order so that we can finally see the true evolution of the show over the course of the season.

Why have, after 2 shows are done, the crew suddenly change uniforms, lose the doctor that was there before for another totally different doctor, just to have it all back for the 4th episode. And why would Spock suddenly change his mannerisms and voice in the 10th episode - shouting orders and all - just to have him calm down again the next episode.

Of course, most fans know that NBC just arbitrarily aired the episodes they had without regard for...well, anything.

Of course, it's also only my opinion, but I'm happy with Paramount's choice in that matter.

Joel

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
What's the difference what order it's presented in? You can always just look it up and view it that way.
However, I definitely like the fact that it's airdate order on the TNG boxsets.
I like my Trek, but I can't spend 15 bucks for two episodes per disc... times 40 discs.
I am a very patient man... ;)

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I didn't think there would be an extra 30 minutes of "lost" footage per episode. First of all, an extra half hour of TV time only means an extra 22 minutes of episode time, anyway. And, as I said, I thought most of it went to the narrator (I forget who presented them on Sci-Fi; wasn't it William Shatner?). I thought there were only maybe a few minutes added back in, but as I said, I wasn't certain. Believe me, I know all about the production and money and the rest. I read the same stuff, too. :)

Real Name
Mohammad Kahhaleh
quote:
----------------------------------------------------------
I like my Trek, but I can't spend 15 bucks for two episodes per disc... times 40 discs.
I am a very patient man...
----------------------------------------------------------
...now this began to amuse me :)
i like here to ask all the trekers out here,
How many is still patient ,like Mike Broadman & me, and did not yet bought the current dvds,for the hope of a release of BoxSets with 4 episodes per Disk ??
to tell the truth about situation here, i kind of feel i will buy (the 2 episodes)Dvds soon... as this hope might take ages to be a reality .

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well there is an alternate version of the second Pilot "Where no man has gone before" that features a preamble from Kirk where he says they were leaving the Solar System. It's only been seen at conventions for the most part.

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
I have all the tos dvds and I am enjoying them now. Waiting for a boxed set while Paramount has several other potential tv series to put on dvd could be a long wait. I don't think tos repackaged will be addressed anytime in the near future.

On a seperate note, I think the reason NBC aired tos in a scrambled order was because the special effects were being sent out to different outfits and some were ready before others. I remember reading this someplace years ago.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I'll eventually buy the ones that relate to the movies but other than that I'm not going to bother with them.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Those who own the TOS DVDs are lucky to have been enjoying them.

I will not buy TOS until it is cheaper, even though I love the show dearly, was raised on it, etc.

I hope Paramount waits a respectable time, then re-releases in big box sets.

I have all the Bond box sets (granted, I bought well), but now all are/will be cheaper. Yet I am so happy I bought when I did. I've enjoyed them.

The price seemed right for Bond then, and it is still wrong for TOS for me now. (I have TNG 1,and will buy TNG 3 and 4 soon)

Acceptable prices and cost/benefit ratios are a personal thing, so all the above is just IMHO.

Bottom Line: I want Star Trek OS. But at about half the current prices.

Dan

Real Name
Mohammad Kahhaleh
well,, i find it kind of strange to find many people whom they related deeply with the shaw ,,and are collectors,, but yet are able to miss a season of TNG ,, or some of TOS dvds which they don't bother with (!) .
yes,ofcourse,, i,100%, agree with the economical factor, and my money does not come easy to me,, but truly,, i just can't miss few of the episodes,if i to be a star trek lover,, or i won't buy the whole thing till i'm able to !
the look of a complete Trek on the shelves is so tempting ;) that's my opinion,though

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I'll chime-in as Paramount might read this.

I'm also a hold-out on TOS. Star Trek TOS in season/box sets would definately make me buy it in a heartbeat.

The way it stands right now I'll wait.

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I have to wholeheartedly disagree with the idea of having them presented in air-date order yet again. We've had that for years in syndication and on VHS and laserdisc. It's about time it was seen in production order so that we can finally see the true evolution of the show over the course of the season.
Ah, well, if that's the reason, then no bother; I'm content to have them in production order!

With regards to waiting for the box, I bought the first 20 or so before finalizing the move to the UK and given the amount of shelf-space involved and the lack of R2 versions thereby increasing likelihood of a box set I decided to sell them off before the move.

Needless to say I'm not repurchasing them when there are ample examples of nice compact trek boxes coming out now. If they want to wait to do box sets until after a couple of Enterprise boxes then I'm content to wait.

Real Name
Mohammad Kahhaleh
guess the best to be done here is : buy all the 40 dvds of TOS now,, and as Jeff Kleist suggested earlier,re-package 'em on 8 of 5-disks covers from Dvdcoverart.com

that way,,one can enjoy all the episodes *NOW* , not after many years when paramount re-issues them , plus you save shelf space with a fairly decent 8 box sets,and a nice covers created for all of them.

DanHaya

Second Unit
I agree with Mohammad. I have the entire series repackaged in the Alpha 5-disc cases with Ric Easton's cover artwork. It takes up half the space of the 40 cases!

I know that it's a lot of money, but if you can afford it, get the 40 current volumes. Those of you who are waiting for boxsets will be waiting quite a long time. Paramount is not going to repackage TOS until 2005 at the earliest. They do not like flooding the market with too much Trek product and they have quite a lot already coming in the next 2 years with TNG, DS9, Voyager and the feature film SEs. Besides, they don't want to piss off those of us who did buy the original DVDs. If you're willing to wait, that's your decision, but be advised that it could be several years before TOS is released in boxsets.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Hey, don't forget...
The good folks here at HTF are also hosting my ST:TOS covers!

Just go to the link near the top of the Software section that says... Star Trek DVD Cover Art
Yes, it's still expensive to buy them all, but the upside is these covers have saved me quite a bit of shelf space.
Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks