Help needed ,STAR TREK fans !

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by mohammad kahhaleh, Aug 21, 2002.

1. mohammad kahhaleh

Mohammad Kahhaleh
    As i'm in process of building a nice & neat ST collection,,
    and ordered & pre-ordered all 'Next Generation' seasons,,,

can anyone ,please, tell me should i wait more for a decent BoxSet of the original '60 series ??
    or must i buy the current 40 DVDs that exist now in the market ?
    i,personally, prefer a box set that have fewer disks and more bonus materials of the original Star trek,, as the current edition now take much money & shelf space ,

thank you for advising me what to do ...

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

There will be no ST:TOS box set in the foreseeable future. We have that right from Paramount

There are covers on DVDcoverart.com that fit 6/7 disc holders that will help you consolodate the discs

3. mohammad kahhaleh

Mohammad Kahhaleh
    thanks Jeff ,
    i guess i'll start buying the individual DVDs of the original show,, but i will Kill you if i find a better solution within the months to come [​IMG]

4. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

I think Paramount will be making a big mistake if they don't release season-sets in the near future. If they do release them, I will be lined right up to buy them, as I'm sure many others will too.

5. Chris M

Chris M Second Unit

I'll buy Season sets of the original series... not really interested in the current DVDs though

Chris.

6. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I am 4 discs away from completing my TOS collection!...

7. mohammad kahhaleh

Mohammad Kahhaleh
    Does any one knows where the Best place to buy all the current TOS DVDs in Lowest prices ???

8. Brenton

Brenton Screenwriter

9. David Lambert

No regrets here...I've been enjoying my favorites for three years now!
    I won't begrudge a thing if season sets were announced tomorrow.
    As for pricing, a lot of places used to carry them for $14.99 each, but then raised 'em to $17.99 each. But Best Buy still clocks in at $14.99 each (though they flirted with the higher price for a three-month period about a year ago).
    The last three I got were last week when BB.COM had their 10% off all SciFi titles! In-store pickup is a wonderful thing. [​IMG]
    I'd hit up the blue-shirted fellows...

10. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

Heh....I have exactly one disc from this collection - the last one containing both versions of The Cage. [​IMG] Actually, I would like to get the rest of them but they are not a priority right now (Focused on TNG Boxsets). I'm also waiting until prices go down further...it could happen. The only one I would pick up at the moment is the one with 'Space Seed' to go with Star Trek II Director's Cut.[​IMG]

11. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Erm, if it is called Star Trek and it is on DVD, then I have it. In fact--*cranes neck to extreme right, looking into other room*--I can see every current Star Trek DVD currently issued right now, on a couple of my shelves. I like that.

(Hint: If you love TOS, you'll take it if available. The current discs are excellent in terms of video and audio quality. And they can be had for $13.99 each at one of the vendors I use.)

12. Jimmy Wong

Jimmy Wong Extra

I picked up about half of them for around 10 bucks each (or lower) with coupons. But nobody seems to discount these things any more. I keep thinking we should get a price drop to 14.99, but it doesn't seem to be happening. I will wait until I can get them for that sweet spot of 10 bucks. With CH, I seldom pay 14.99 for a movie, much less 2 episodes of a TV show, even TOS. One thing, with all the DVDs I buy, I've learned to be patient and wait for a bargain.

13. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    any idea what the status in other regions might be? were the 2-episodes/disc versions released in, say, the UK?

if not, for all we know Paramount might do a box set in other regions, before finally revisiting them in R1 several years from now.

14. CaptDS9E

CaptDS9E Cinematographer

I still need to pick up the last 4. Just havent had the urge to buy them yet with so much other stuff waiting to be watched

capt

15. Mark_Davis

Mark_Davis Extra

There has been no TOS release in UK yet...

Therefore UK fans (including me) are keeping fingers crossed that TOS season sets will appear...

Otherwise one day I'll fork out for the R1's

16. mohammad kahhaleh

Mohammad Kahhaleh
    sorry if i sounded silly,
    but ,, what is R1 ?

17. Steven_J_H

Steven_J_H Stunt Coordinator

Steven
    Coded Region 1 for play in the US and its terrirories and Canada.

18. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

A side-question, if I may: Are the episodes on the DVDs as they were when originally broadcast? I assume they are. But it would be even better (in my opinion, though I realize not everyone will agree, which if fine) if they were the extended cuts as broadcast on Sci-Fi a few years ago. They were broadcast as 90 minutes on TV; the extra time was to replace the footage cut out for syndicated commercial breaks, and to give the narrator time to talk. But I thought there was also some never-broadcast-before footage added back in, wasn't there?

19. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

No, it was just so they could show it uncut with the usual Sci-Fi overload of commercials

20. David Lambert

Jeff's absolutely correct. I've been raised during the lean "Trek" years when syndication Trek-a-thons, intermittent conventions, and books and comics were the only outlets for this show, and LONG before films or TNG came along.

Having gone through every detail of books written by participants like "The Making of Star Trek", "The World of Star Trek", "The Trouble With Tribbles", "The Star Trek Compendium", and "I Am Not Spock", I can tell you with as much certainty as a non-participant can muster that there is no "lost" footage other than the fabled blooper reels, and certainly there is nothing like a half hour per episode.

You have to remember that Star Trek was criticized at the time for spending so much money, among the most in the business, and it was really not as much as they wanted or needed to fully flesh out all the ideas they had. It wasn't unusual for them to scavenge thrown away set pieces or props out of the bins of other shows or films on the same lot, from what I read.

There certainly wasn't enough money - or time in the day - to film each week a half hour of footage that would be cut. And who would store it for 3 decades without it becoming very public and very desired?

Nah, the episodes are on the DVDs the way they are meant to be seen. Shown in the original lengths as broadcast on NBC in the late 60's, without the additional trims later by local stations to make room for more commercials. I will state that eagle-eyed Trekkers have found a couple of "mistakes" on the DVDs, which have been brought up here on HTF and which Paramount's Martin Blythe has at least acknowledged to the point of investigating. The one I can think of right now is a missing sound effect in The Menagerie (or was it The Cage?). Too early to think of details...do a search. Nothing I'm worried about, or is spoiling my enjoyment of these discs!