What's new

HELP - Monitor Out problems (new reciever) (1 Viewer)

Doug_E_P

Grip
Ok,
Recently bought a new Pioneer Elite Reciever VSX36... whatever the elite designation is. Anyways here is my problem. When using the monitor out s-video cord connection the "blue screen" isn't solid blue. It is blue but almost looks pixelated, that is you can see the squares throughout the screen as well as some vertical lines that bow outwords. When I use a the standard video out with an analog cable (or whatever a regular connect) is called the screen is the normal, flat blue. I thought it might be my s-video cable, but it is a decent monster. I used the cable to go direct from my DVD player and the screen looked blue as expected. So... could there be a problem with the s-video out on my reciever, or could the cable be picking up that much interference from the cables down at the back panel of my reciever. Hope this was understandable. PLEASE HELP!
[Edited last by Doug_E_P on October 15, 2001 at 06:57 AM]

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Doug. Welcome to HTF! :)
At first look, it appears to be a problem. The receiver is doing some damage to the SVideo signal.
But wait: this is a "No Signal" condition. There is NO outside source feeding the receiver a signal. With no signal...should the receiver generate one? Of course not. You are probably just picking up a bit of noise.
This is like switching your receiver to a un-used audio input and turning the volume control way up. You will start to hear hiss as the noise is amplified.
Try this: get a copy of the Avia DVD or Video Essential. Each disk has several test-patterns with color-bars, grid-lines. Fire one of these up going straight from the DVD player to the TV. Note any problems with convergence or the display. Then route the signal to the receiver, then to the TV. Do you see any more problems? Any bowed lines?
Only if the picture appears distorted WITH a video source active should you think somethings wrong and take the receiver back.
Hope this helps.

Doug_E_P

Grip
Bob,
Thanks, huge help I think. I have video essentials and will be going through it this week. I guess the one question it leads me to is - is the s-video cord more apt to pick up interference than a standard video out cord (you know, just a basic radio shack gold series) because it's clean as can be blue using that cord, but a mess using the s-video. It's about a 1.5 - 2 meter run...
I'll run video essentials. I wasn't all that worried until I ran the standard video out and had the solid blue screen. Thanks.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, you COULD have a bad SVideo cable. Even very good brands can have problems.
When you run through the receiver, you have 2 SVideo cables in the signal path.
Try taking one straight to the TV and see if there is distortion/lines. Then repeat with the other cable. Have someone watch the TV while slowly moving the cables in case there is an intermitant short/open. The display should remain steady/fixed if the cables are good.
Then, wire up going through the receiver and repeat the test moving one cable at a time to try and find the bad cable.
The test-patterns on VE are very good for showing problems. Pop it in and pick one of the static test-screens to give you lots of fine-detail to look at.
Shielding: I dont want you to abandon a SVideo connection for a Composite video (single video cable). The SVideo connection can give you a 20% or more improvement over composite.
Rather than debait the shielding issue, let me ask you this: are you running your SVideo cable away from power cords and speaker wires?
In general, you should run all Interconnects away from power cables. Power cables include the AC power wire and Speaker wires. Just try to drape/bundle them away from each other. Velcro cable-ties are handy and cheap (check your local hardware store).
Good Luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks