What's new

Help me understand the difference between these Sony TVs please. (1 Viewer)

ScottHH

Stunt Coordinator
'what do I need'?

All of the Sony tube's you are looking at have a 1080i display. They are all capable of displaying a hi-def picture.

If you are receiving your hi-def off-the-air you need a tuner to receive the signal, it is the 8-VSB tuner. If you are receiving your hi-def via cable, you need a different tuner to receive that signal, it is called QAM. Without these tuners, you have an HD-ready set. If they're included it's either HDTV built-in or an "HDTV"

If you had a tuner to receive either or both of these signals, or when you have an HD-DVD or Blu-ray player, they are at this point most likely going to output via HDMI. Once again all of the Sony TV's you are looking at have an HDMI input. Here is Sony's explanation: HDMI Interface (High-Definition Multimedia Interface) provides an uncompressed, all-digital audio/video interface between the TV and any HDMI-equipped audio/video component, such as a set-top box, DVD player, and A/V receiver. HDMI supports enhanced, or high-definition video, plus multi-channel digital audio.

There are some copyright issues with HDTV via component cables, and the common believe is that the must future-proof option today is HDMI with HDCP. I don't think this is an issue you need to worry about as long as you have an HDMI input.

Charlie Campisi

Screenwriter
David -

Even if you buy over the internet, make sure you see the tv's in person. It's the only way to tell if you like a picture. While RPTV's have come a long way and do look great with HD feeds, they are not for everyone if you are comparing to a tube. I have an RPTV and love it. But I was absolutely sure when I went shopping that I stood the exact distance from the screen as where my couch would be at home, and crouched down to the correct height. That's the best way to tell if a set will look good when you get it home.

David Brass

Agent
Scott;

Thank you for the excellent description of the meaning of the different inputs and formats. That's exactly what I was looking for. I believe I understand now.

Charlie;

That is excellent advice. I will do that of course. I'm going to have to take a very close look at any RPTV before I choose it over a conventional TV because of picture quality issues. If I think I can live with it though, I might go for the larger screen. There is an upper limit to what I can fit on my stand, which turns out to be only 40" wide now that I'm home and have had a chance to measure it again. If the difference in screen size is significant I might still be swayed to an RPTV, but once again it looks like the Sony might be winning again.

Anybody care to comment on any RPTVs that might be for me? 40" wide?

Thanks again,

David

Craig

Second Unit
Over on the AVS forum there's a thread about the new line of Sony LCD RPTVs. Sony is moving the speakers to the bottom of the TV and trying to make them very compact with the stated goal of making them fit into smaller spaces. I'm guessing the 42" model will come in around 38-40 inches wide at most.

Since you're watching mainly DVDs I'd say get the largest TV that will fit. As far as image quality, with DVDs, I think you'll be real happy with an RPTV. If you were talking standard definition TV, then a smaller, direct view set might be ok, but for DVDs, Hi-Def DVDs and Hi-Def TV, an RPTV will really look great. You'll actually see more detail on a larger screen (assuming a high quality TV).

John S

Senior HTF Member
Yes.. Screen size probably has the single most impact on the theater like experience, I have to admit.

David Brass

Agent
Hmmm... Sony LCD RPTV. I think I may have seen one at the Best Buy a while back. Could it have been around $2.5k? In my optimistic moments I think I could hold out for a couple more months and wait to be able to afford it if this was the one I saw. I'll look into it. If it was the one you are referring to I was absolutely blown away (I hate that phrase and don't use it lightly) by the picture when I compared it to the conventional TVs I was looking at. Even the Sonys (Sonies?)

Bigger is definitely better, but Mrs. Brass has her limits. I built a pair of 7' tall line array speakers that she agreed sounded better than almost anything she had ever heard. They are now in the garage. She does have her limits.

David

Craig

Second Unit
On those Sony LCD RPTVs. Word on the thread over at AVS was that the next model 42" will have a street price below $2000, some were saying as low as $1500, although that seems a little too low for me. However HH Greg has a 43" Panasonic LCD rptv for $1797, so what do I know?

John S

Senior HTF Member
As I found out last night in great detail. Don't discount the Panasonic LCD RP's either. Nice displays, and Iam see'n some really great sale pricing on them.

David Brass

Agent
Gents;

I was just at the BestBuy looking at LCD RPTVs and I simply must have one. The picture is unbelieveable. I looked at a whole pile of TVs and frankly I think I would be happy with almost any of them as long as they were set up properly. However, the Sony clearly had the best picture although I'm slightly biased because I was looking at a 60" model which is not even in the running for my consideration. It must be a 42" and even then Mrs. Brass is going to flip her lid.

Anybody have any insight into when that next model of the Sony 42" LCD RPTV with a street price below $2k is coming out? Did I mention that I must have this TV?

David

John S

Senior HTF Member
I like you, am really sold on this technology. I'll bet I end up with LCD FP as my next display.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
The new models usually street around early September. This will give you two options, getting the newer model at a slightly reduced introductory price or last years model with a reduced price. When I got mine I went with the newer model and my friend who was the manager of that particular Best Buy store gave me an excellent deal with his discount. Unfortanately he's no longer there but I'm still thankful for what he done.

Craig

Second Unit
I've never recommended waiting before, but given your situation, holding off a little while to see how things shake out in HDTV world is not a bad thing.

The JVC D-ILA 52" set has been selling for less than $2500 online for some time now, and I noticed HH Greg has them for $2397 in today's paper. Name brand plasma 42" EDTVs like Pioneer and Panasonic have dropped to around $1800 online. There's no way that 42" RPTVs of any type are going to stay at $2500 much longer. Some of this may be due to model closeouts, but it just looks like prices are going to be falling a lot over the next few months.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't wait, just keep an eye out for a good deal on the Sony you want. I'll bet with some dillegence, you will come across a great deal on the one you want.

The only thing I will give the Sony over the Panasonic, is that even from 1' away, on the Sony I can't see any Screen Door Effect, but on the Panasonic, I have to get abou 3' away to not see any.

So have you really narrowed it down to one Sony size / Model Number? If so post it up, I'll bet you get some posts of extra good pricing from a few different sources.

David Brass

Agent
Well, I did it. I couldn't wait any longer and BestBuy had the Sony 34" widescreen HD monitor at $1440 which exactly hit my price point. I take delivery Saturday. Anyone want to come over and watch a movie?

I am seriously grateful to all of you for taking the time to help me. I guess in truth I had mostly made up my mind after some careful consideration and I have bought what I intended to buy. However, I would not have understood that this choice fit my needs without your help. I wanted to be sure about a number of technical details that I knew you all would be able to help with and you have all definitely come through for me.

There are currently only eight or so HD channels available in Durham NC, none of which I watch more than occasionally. Therefore I don't have a problem not having the HD tuner built in. Furthermore, I can get a tuner from the cable company when I want to step up to HD cable.

This TV will be used first and foremost for DVD movies and it won't be the last set I ever buy so when it's time, I'll be able to step up to the next level of technology.

Thanks again sincerely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks