What's new

help me make up my mind (1 Viewer)

Josh.L

Agent
I know this has probably been asked a million times, but I can NOT make up my mind. I've got a Shiva and a PE plate amp(250), and i've narrowed the enclosures down to three: the 54L sealed, the 88.5L sealed and the ported 85L. I can't make up my mind though. So... I will be using it for both music and HT, I'm not craving super deep bass, just something nice and tight for music, and something that will go nice and low for HT, and I want a relatively small enclosure(although I could deal with the larger two I listed) So, I would really appreciate it if a couple people would chime in here with their expericences with these enclosures.

thanks,
josh

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Personally, I prefer larger drivers in sealed setups; particularly for music. You get a tighter, "punchier" sound out of 'em.

I have the Shiva mark 1 in a 101.5L sealed box with the ApexJr 130 Watt amp. It delivers more bass than I'll ever need and, since my basement is now complete, I plan to move it into a 88.5L sealed box with a higher WAF. Of course, I don't usually listen to my stuff at "reference level" and my listening area is not enormous so the 88.5L should suit me fine.

Just plugging the specs into ISDONLINE, there's not a huge difference in response between either sealed setup. The ported design will naturally get you a little deeper.. but you're sacrificing enclosure size and punch to get there.

Josh.L

Agent
Thanks dave, I appreciate it. It's good to know that there will not be a huge difference between the 54 and 88.5L designs. That definitily helps out my decision. I too was also leaning towards the sealed designs.

thanks,
josh

KyleGS

Second Unit
From what you described the 88L sealed design should be about right. I was in your exact shoes a few weeks ago, but these guys talked me into a sealed Tempest (122L). :)
Should be up and running by the new year. :)

Ben Ven

Stunt Coordinator
I had a 50 L sealed enclosure with a Shiva. I thought it sounded pretty good. But then one day my wife made me make a smaller box. It sounded horrible. Then I rebelled put on my pants and told my wife that she needs something bigger.:D
Anyway, I ended up with a 76 L ported, enclosure, tuned to approx. 20 Hz. All I can say is wow. Tighter, deeper, more articulate than the sealed boxes. And, I can now knock down just about anything hanging on the walls in my family room.
I'd go with 85 L ported enclosure.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks