What's new

Help me get over putting a $2,200 (broken) direct view CRT out in the Trash. (1 Viewer)

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
I have a ProScan 35 inch direct view TV that suddenly stopped turning on. This TV was the top-of-the-line in its day. Built in line doubling so there are no horizontal scan lines. Premium sound from 6 speakers. The green light may come on for 2 or 3 seconds, but the "BOINGGG" sound (from the degausser) doesn't happen. I can feel some static electricity if I keep pushing the On button.

This TV is between 12-14 years old, but hasn't gotten much use since I bought a large Rear Projection HD TV about 5 years ago. Never the less, we still made some use of it, but getting it repaired seems to be the wrong way to go. I'm not sure RCA has any parts for it, and the cost of the repairs could probably be more than something new. Instead of putting hundreds of dollars into the cost of repair we have a 20 inch Mitsubishi that still works.

We should be able to make do with the 20 inch Mitsubishi until such time as we feel comfortable spending ~$600 on something like a 42 inch Panasonic plasma.

I called the township and they charge $20 to pick it from the curb.

Looking at it it looks just as good as it did when I got it so many years ago.

I hate to say it but the idea that someone may come along who has TV repair skills and fix it troubles me.

I can call a couple of places that were given to me by RCA, I can only imagine how they could do in-home diagnostics. Taking to either of the 2 authorized repair facilities may shed some more light on it.

Still, I don't have much hope that getting it fixed is even the right way to go.

Anything anyone has to say will be appreciated.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It's a 13+ year old TV, analog, standard definition, probably doesn't even anamorphic squeeze for DVD watching. It must weight 300 lbs, with a huge footprint, taking up excessive space in its room. And you don't really use it. And now it's completely dead.

My wife was quite happy when we got rid of our 36" CRT this year. She is much happier with the new flat panel aesthetically.

So be rid of it and be glad. Just be sure to have help when you move that monster!

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
There was a lot of hoopla back in the day about the ProScan widescreen CRT sets here at the HTF. For watching anamorphic DVDs, it couldn't be beat. I know I would find it difficult to just dump it on the curb. A set like that belongs in a museum. Of all the things they don't make like they used to, this is at the top of the list. (And I mean that in a GOOD way. :))

On the issue of repair, it sounds like it could be a power supply problem, which may be easier and cheaper to fix than you may think. Before you put it to the curb, you should at least get a repair estimate. At least then you'll have a definite dollar amount to justify letting this amazing set go quietly into the night.

Sorry, I don't know how to make this any easier.

CRyan

Screenwriter
Well, my parents had their 35 Mits CRT fixed a year ago (stopped turning on). Cost only $175 and it works like new. I do believe they had to do something a little bit weird to fix it though. You could always have someone come over to look at it but it will cost $35 probably for that visit if you dont have them fix it. Might just be a power supply or capacitor - never know obviously.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
Originally Posted by DaveF ">[/url]

It's a 13+ year old TV, analog, standard definition, probably doesn't even anamorphic squeeze for DVD watching. It must weight 300 lbs, with a huge footprint, taking up excessive space in its room. And you don't really use it. And now it's completely dead.

My wife was quite happy when we got rid of our 36" CRT this year. She is much happier with the new flat panel aesthetically.

So be rid of it and be glad.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If that is one of the analog 35" Proscan 16:9 TVs with component input that is 480P compatible, based on the performance of my X1 projector, I'll bet HDTV downconverted to 480p would look FABULOUS on it. Just FYI. May be cheap to fix.

Brian Serene

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brian Serene
Originally Posted by Philip Hamm

If that is one of the analog 35" Proscan 16:9 TVs with component input that is 480P compatible, based on the performance of my X1 projector, I'll bet HDTV downconverted to 480p would look FABULOUS on it. Just FYI. May be cheap to fix.
Phillip, this set is a 4:3, no component input. However, with the built-in line doubling, picture quality was excellent.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
4:3? Ah, I thought it was the widescreen set. Thanks for clarifying.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I have a similar set. It has gone out a few times. What will probably happen is if you can find a repair tech, he will come over, and do a diagnostic. From what you've described, it's probably not the tube, but the electronics, which are on a board. So he will just take the defective board, and leave the tube, which is what weighs 300 pounds. Then if he can find parts, he can do a fix, come back, and put it back together. It'll cost a few hundred bucks (but definitely talk about estimates before he even comes over).

The problem is finding someone local who is qualified to do the fix, and finding parts. He may be able to scavenge from other sets, even other makes/models. In fact, the next time it goes, I'm gonna call my guy first, and if he's still in business, offer it to him.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Look at it this way. 15 years ago you bought $2,000 worth of pets.com stock. It was really a great performer in its day. But now it's worth nothing. Its age has passed it by.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Nicholls

Look at it this way. 15 years ago you bought $2,000 worth of pets.com stock. It was really a great performer in its day. But now it's worth nothing. Its age has passed it by.
So now you're speaking in techno-koans?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks