What's new

Help me find a Polk center channel (1 Viewer)

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
I've got my heart set on getting a pair of RT55i's to replace my main speakers. So now I need to get a center speaker to go with them. I like the way the CS400i sounds, but I haven't heard the CS245i. I have read, however, that the 245 is almost overpowered by rt55's. So mainly I'm looking to find a place where I can get the 400 center channel for less than the $400 I see it going for everywhere. Does anyone know of a reliable site that sells it for less? I also live around Austin and San Antonio if someone knows of a B&M store.
btw, If anyone can comment on the CS245, I'd like to hear.
Greg

Mike LS

Supporting Actor
Before you spend any money, I'd check with Ken Swauger over at Polk. He can tell you which center was designed to go with the 55's.
I'd say it's probably the 245.
I have read, however, that the 245 is almost overpowered by rt55's.
That's a simple matter of speaker level settings.......
Anyhow, if you're set on getting the 400, the cheapest place I've seen it is http://shop.store.yahoo.com/electron...polkaudio.html
Can't tell you if they're reliable or not....they're rated with Yahoo, so most of thost sites are OK. The fact that they sell if for $283 would make my mind up...reliable or not.

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
The CS400i is probably the best way to go. If I'm not mistaken it has the same driver array as the RT-55i.
If there's an AV store near you that sells polks, try getting a deal on it. My salesman, who is very nice to me, has always knocked 20%-25% off polk speakers. Sorry, but I can't pass his name on to everyone, but that is a good sign that most places have room to deal on these.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If you look on Crutchfield, either the 400 or the 245 are recommended as a match to the 55s.
The 55s look like a very good deal right now, even from Crutchfield, which means you should be able to get an even better price somewhere else. I'd say if you try getting them all at the same place, a B&M may cut you a very good deal.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, innate desire on the part of every organism,
to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

JohanK

Second Unit
Get the 400i; you won't regret it.
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
My friend just ordered the CS400i to go with his RT55i's yesterday from crazy eddie's...$310 shipped.
------------------
Chuck
http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
Get the 400 no question.
In Canada a few years ago, they had an offer that if you bought so many dollars worth of polk speakers, they'd throw in the matching center. I'm not sure if they have this deal now, or if it ever was available in the US, check with polk's website and with your dealer.
Note: they might only throw in the 245 center, but most places should let you upgrade, paying the difference in cost of the two centers. Check it out...
------------------
I AM CANADIAN!

Thomas_A

Second Unit
When I was in the spot to up-grade my cs150... I did a side by side with the cs245i and the cs400i> there is no comparison IMO. The CS400i is a much better sounding center than the 245i from what I heard. I was so impressed- cc was out at the time...I could have gotten the 245..but waited to get the 400i and definatly was worth the wait.
The 400 would be a sweet match up with the 55's
good luck,
Thomas

Greg Robertson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I shoulda figured this forum would tell me to go for the bigger one. :)
Thanks for the store suggestions, you guys saved me about a hundred bucks!
Greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks