What's new

Help me decide on tv (1 Viewer)

Jared_C

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, i am on a budget and am going to get either a rca vport 27" analog or philips 27" flat. please feel free to offer your suggestions. THe philips i can get for $317 and the rca $285 links to each below. please reply asap because i am going to buy tonite. thanks everyone
philips flat
rca vport

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Hi Jared, I've looked at 27" analogs for some time now and I'm really suprised at the RCA F27650 I saw at CC. The color was very good compared with all the other 27" sets nearby. I keep hoping someone would post their experience with one of these units to sway me one way or the other. I know RCA's in the past have had lousy service life, maybe with this new line they're trying to get back in the game. Anybody else out there have any input on these units?

Wayne_ML

Auditioning
Where can you get the philips for that price? Costsco has the 24" flat for $350.
My one year old RCA doesn't work anymore (cheapo 25") but prior to that had good picture for the price. Also prior to that I have NEVER had problems like that before with them (but this spans close to 20 years). I can also say that based on the last RCA TV and the consumer reports rating (unfortunately I read it after I bought the TV) I can say I would never buy RCA again without an extended warranty (yes I know they USUALLY are not worth it)

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
RCA, manufactured by Thomson, is not highly regarded.
You never know how the color is adjusted on a set in the store. Definitely fiddle with the color controls yourself on any set you're interested in, regardless of how crappy the picture may be, and see if you can tweak it. The settings could be way off.
Jan

Jared_C

Stunt Coordinator
well i ended up getting the philips. $317for a 27" flat screen with 800 lines horizontal res and a bunch of nice features. I am very happy with it, great picture, superb sound for a television. The reason it cost $317 was because Wal-mart had two left, which they wanted to get rid of asap so they slashed the price $100!!! I didn't think they were allowed to do that unless it was discontinued or display, etc, but hey, i'm not going to complain! I currently have my xbox hooked up to it with the high def component cables. Shrek never looked so good on dvd, i could see the pores on his face :D , and gaming is also excellent. Wasn't sure about buying a philips, but now i'm sold!!

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Great deal Jared! My folks purchased a Phillips 19" set at Circuit City back in 1989 and it is still working! This set will bring many happy years of service to you. Way to go WalMart!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks