What's new

help me choose projector for a bar set-up (1 Viewer)

Ian H.

Auditioning
My buddy wants to set up a projector and screen in his commercial bar. My advice is the image will be washed out unless there is very low light. He claims it's pretty dark, but.... Right now, they've got a 50" RPTV, but it needs to go 'cuz it takes up too much floor space.

Space seems like the main issue, not the size of the image. So, he doesn't need an 8-10ft screen.

I'm thinking a Plasma screen, or something similar (DLP?) that can be mounted on the wall and not take up floor space.

Does anyone have any advice or just some questions that we need to consider?

Any help is much appreciated, thanks HTF.

Ian

Ramon A

Agent
I would recommend any dlp front projector, with a minimum of 1000 lumens or better. So you get a bright picture with ambient lite. If picture quality is not the most important thing you can get a good lcd projector with 1200-1500 lumens that will throw a nice bright picture for sports and such and pay between $1000 to $3000, and a carada screen for $300 to $500 depending on the size, 80"to 130". A 50" or 60" plasma would probably be between $3000 & $7000 depending on quality, and the really good ones go for around 12k.
So bang for buck and comparable if not better picture go for front projector.
But my recommendation for absolute best of both worlds,if bar is dark enough for around $4500 you can get a benq8700 with the mustang/hd2+ chip 6segment color wheel and with the carada 110" screen you will have the nicest set up around.
High end picture and people will think they have floor and ring side seats for all the events. go to projector people on line for there sale.

Ian H.

Auditioning
Thanks alot Ramon. I'll do some research on what you suggested.

Any other suggestions are appreciated.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Cheapest 4 by 3 projector you can get. Either the Infocus X1 or the Benq PB6100.

The Benq has a longer warranty with better turnaround if a problem occurs

Both about $900..

Don't know much about screens.

Brent

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

How many hours a day is this projector or display going to be running?

I think that in a bar environment if it's going to be running a lot of hours you may want to consider a used CRT front projector (or maybe even a plasma?). 1000, 2000, or more hours (typical bulb life) is going to get eaten up pretty fast if it's being run 8-12 hours a day. Is it going to be a problem expense wise replacing a bulb at $150-$400 a pop every couple thousand hours? Just something to think about!

Matt

Ian H.

Auditioning
thanks, it'll be run an avg of 50-60 hours each week. 6 days a week, 8-10 hours a day. Sounds like he'd have to replace the bulb in a projector about every year or more. I'm thinking this may more cost effective than buying a plasma screen that might need replacing after a couple of years.

anyone recommend good websites for service and pricing? thanks.

Ian H.

Auditioning
Robert, I agree with you about not using a screen in a bar, pretty expensive to replace. I remember reading years ago suggestions on good paint to use on the wall. Can anyone suggest what kind of paint to use.

Exact brand and/or type would be helpful.

Thanks.

Matthew Todd

Second Unit
Ian, I haven't painted my own screen, but I've seen several detailed paint forumulations over in the screen forum at avsforum.

Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks