What's new

Help! I am goin mad! How do I set up my HT so I can hear my TV through it? (1 Viewer)

Ang4ness2

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie
Hi I am going bald from pulling my hair out. We have just had new tv and new home cinema system. The TVs is a Panasonic model TX-40C300B and the htc is a Samsung 5.1 CH blue ray Home entertainment centre model HT-j4500. Now I can get beautiful sound when playin DVDs blue ray or cd but no sound for TV. To be honest the sound from TVs speakers is really poor quality so really want to be able to hear TVs through the hts. Can you please help. TVs has two hdmi ports the 1st had the Samsung in the second had my ps4 in. No other device connected don't have cable or sky. Antenna is a digital aireal. Hope that's enough information for you to be able to help oh I also tried using red white ports but that didn't work either. Helllppppppp

Real Name
Thomas Roberts
Sounds like maybe you need to connect the Optical output from the TV to the Optical input on the home theater. Once that is connected, you would select the D. IN mode on the receiver.

Ang4ness2

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie
Is it correct that the hdmi 2 port is the one I should connect to cinema system. I read that the had I 2 port supports arc do you know if that's correct or not.

Ang4ness2

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie
Are the optical cables easy to find if I want to buy one and are they expensive. I live in the uk.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
The problem is that your "receiver" appears to be just a Blu-ray player with an amplifier and a radio. You are hearing sound from the system speakers when you play discs because the sound is originating from the system. When you watch TV with your aerial antenna, the sound is emanating directly from your TV and the receiver is not being involved.

Does the receiver have an antenna input on the back? If it does, you would plug the antenna to that input on the receiver and select it on the receiver and it would send the antenna signal to the TV. From the look of things, I doubt that it does. As others suggested, you could try the TV's optical out, but the receiver will then have to have an optical in, and you would need to be able to select that input on the receiver. If these options are not available, you will not be able to amplify your antenna signal through the amp/receiver/player.

Ang4ness2

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie
So basically I am not going to be able to hear my TV through the home entertainment system then. Oh that's not good news as the speakers on the to are terrible. Maybe a sound bar will help then if that's the case. Thank you all who have tried to help me.

Ang4ness2

Auditioning
Real Name
Angie
Does anyone know if it's right that the home entertainment system should be connected to the hdmi port 2 not the first one. I think someone mentioned that the second port has arc connection. I am so clueless but really want to be able to hear my TVs through the system speakers.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
Tried looking up the specs on what you bought:

http://www.cnet.com/products/samsung-ht-j4500-home-theater-system-5-1-channel/specs/#p=samsung-ht-j4500-home-theater-system-5-1-channel/

From some customer reviews I found:

- "the system has a opticle port and the old fashioned stereo inputs so will work with pretty much every Tv or play-station Xbox etc. on the planet as long as you have the correct cable "

"my TV thankfully has an optical audio out so I used an optical cable to the receivers optical audio in port so all of my devices will output audio through the sound system."

- I looked up your TV - it has: Digital Audio Output (Optical) 1 (optical)

Just get an optical cable - hook up the TV to the system with that cable - and then turn off your TV speakers. All sound will now go through the receiver. You may have to set up your TV to output the signal through the optical output (check the manual on how to do this - usually they are on by default, but not always)

When you want to watch TV and listen to the sound - have to select the optical In input on the receiver.

Can find optical cable cheap at monoprice...

http://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=S%2FPDIF+%28Toslink%29+Digital+Optical+Audio+Cable

Just reviewed the post - and saw: "I live in the uk." - not sure the regular monoprice site will ship there...

Seems monoprice also has a UK store - but not as much of a selection. Also I am not sure on the exchange rate, but what they list doesn't seem too high either...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/280-2618166-9599753?url=me%3DA1EPTO47FZ4KN6&field-keywords=Toslink

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, with regard to ARC - it really doesn't work most of the time, and practically NEVER works if the devices are different brands (in your case, Panasonic and Samsung). It's not the great solution that folks think it is.

In your case, forget trying to get ARC to work and just go with the optical connection.

Finally, even if the optical connection works for cable/satellite watching, it may not work when playing content from the "Apps" built-in to the TV (like YouTube, Hulu, etc.). There are some TVs that do not output audio from apps AT ALL. Not sure if your display falls into this category, but if you discover that audio works for cable but not the apps, there's likely nothing more that can be done.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks