What's new

Help! Going shopping over the next 2 days (1 Viewer)

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Well I have decided that it is time to shop for some speakers. The system would be used for 70% movies/x-box games and 30% music. I am looking to spend $1000 - $1900 ($1400-$1600 would be great). Would you recommend no sub if I share one wall with a neighbor (nobody above or below)? The room is 19'4" (front wall) & 15'4" (side wall) with a 9' ceiling. The receiver is a Denon 3802. Here is what I have planned so far for shopping:
Store 1
B&W 300 series (I know it has a sub)would it be a better system by not getting the ASW 300 and getting an SVS PB1-ISD? Is the 300 series too small for the room?

B&W DM603 s3, LCR 600 s3, DM600 s3 with no sub.

Is there a better mix and match with B&W like going with DM601's instead of the 603's and the LCR 60 with the SVS PB1-ISD?

Store 2
Paradigm dont know much about them or their different speakers. Where is a good starting point with them? I noticed that their cheaper packages include speakers rated to 80 watts. My receiver is pushing like 105. Should that be a concern?
Also you guys have me intrigued by these Rockets. What would their comparable models be? Their packages sound good but now sub for those small speakers. Will I be disappointed in them with no sub? Also, how would you compare the Rockets sound tendencies to the ones mentioned above? (for ex brighter, more mellow, etc.)
Any other suggestions on how to shop for speakers (what to bring, etc)?
Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for your help!

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I'm in the process of building my system and am going with B&Ws. So far I have 602s for the fronts and an LCR60 for the center and am very happy with them. I haven't upgraded the sub yet (am replacing a cheap JBL system in a box set of speakers that includes a sub) so I can't help you there.

I posted here a few weeks ago asking for some upgrade advice and the consensus was that 602s with a sub were fine for the fronts with a sub in the system (I was considering 604s fronts & 602s rear).

MWestyn

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I started out with 604 mains, lcr600 center, and 601 rears...the sound was awesome and the mains could give the room a little shake.

I didn't know what I was missing until I recently added an SVS PCi 20-39. A sub (especcially this one!) makes a huge difference!!!

My advice would be to start off with something in the 600 series and when you get the money, add a sub then upgrade. Even a cheaper sub will give you some low-end extension and add overall balance to the system.

If your ht stores are like the ones around here, if you return the equipment within a year (because of upgraditis), they'll give you the full value you paid on that item towards a new purchase...not a bad option if you want to upgrade...

BobAlbano

Second Unit
Hey Mark, have you check out www.av123.com forum for questions on the Rockets. I have heard all of the speakers that you are considering and the Rockets are going to have a different sound than both the B&W's and the Paradigms that you are looking at. I happen to really like the Rocket sound as they are one of the best bang for the buck speakers on the market imo.

I have used the Rockets with a 3802 in the past and they sounded really great. I would describe the Rocket 750's as having a little less treble energy than both of the other speakers that you are looking at. The will not be as forward in their presentation of the others either. I would describe the Rockets as sitting in the 3rd or 4th row of a concert where the others would be 1st row. They have the best mids and mid-bass presentation of the bunch IMO. The look of the Rockets is the richest IMO as well. With everything having to do with speakers my opinion is my opinion. The best thing to do would be to audition the speakers if possible. Check out www.audioenvy.com to see if there is a person in your area that would be willing to let you demo the Rockets. Good luck with your decision!:cool:

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for your input. My preliminary plan is to go with the DM603's, LCR600, and DM600's. Then in a year upgrade to the DM602's. When I move into a house then I will probably get something like the 20-39 PCi. Of course this could all be irrelevant if I dont like the sound of the B&W's tomorrow.
Any other suggestions? I am going to check out Paradigms today.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
Mark,

For paradigms, i started by looking at the monitor 7's and mini-monitors first then i looked at the studio series..the 60's to be exact. I have pretty much decided on the 60's, unless something else changes my mind before i buy...

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
In Paradigm speakers, I suggest you look at the Monitor series. The Studio series might be a bit out of your budget. The Monitor 7 is an excellent speaker. The new version 3 sounds very good. It has been redesigned to resemble an earlier version of the Studio 6s at about half the price. If you are looking at bookshelf speakers, the Mini-Monitors are an excellent value.

If these are out of your price range, you should look at the Performance series. These are also a great value. Remember, the best speaker is the speaker that sounds the best to you.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you like the B&W sound and look check out the Swan's Diva line from www.theaudioinsider.com . They've been favorably compared to the B&W nautilus series for a fraction of the cost and look amazing. You could get 5.2 mains, C3 center, and 2.1 surrounds for $1510 or the same w/ 6.1 mains for $1640. I have a 4.1/2.1/C3 system and love it. My next upgrade will probably be the 5.2s or 6.1s. You can probably even work out a package deal and come in a little cheaper, they'll usually discount the package enough to cover shipping costs. If you can wait on the suba little while I would do the 6.1/2.1/C3 system and get a PB1-ISD on down the road a little. If not, the 5.2/2.1/C3 and an Adire Rava would be great (and if you decide you want a bigger/lower sub on down the road you can always use the amp and driver from the Rava (an Adire Shiva) in a larger ported box, or even port the Rava box).

Check out www.audioenvy.com to see if anyone in your area is doing home demonstrations of the Swan's, Rockets, Adire Rava, or SVS subs. It's a great way to get some ear-time with speakers you would otherwise have to buy-to-try.

Hope this helps :)

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks again for all of the great feedback. I am glad I found this site. All the info out on the internet can be a bit overwhelming. I never heard of Paradigm's before a few days ago. When I read about them hear I was calling them Paradijim's (hehe). Luckily I got the correct pronunciation down before going to the store.
Well I went to the store and listened to a Titan surround system and that sounded great. I also listened to the Monitors and they were great as well. This is what the guy quoted me. Is this a good deal or average?
Monitor:
Monitor 5's (Front w/26" stands), CC270, Mini's for the rears, and the PS 1000......$1630
Performance:
Titans (front and surrounds with 2 30" stands), CC170, PDR 10.......$950

I have to go back to the store because I did'nt have time to listen to any music. So all that I have heard is Gladiator where they are fighting in the Colliseum and the tigers come out. Pretty damn impressive stuff!! I had to wipe the drool out of the corner of my mouth especially when he switched from the PDR-10 to the PS 1000.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you go with the monitors get the matching CC370 center. The CC270 is matched with the focus, phantom, and esprit speakers from the performance line. Also, I would skip the Paradigm subs in favor of an Adire Rava or PB1-ISD.

Most Paradigm dealers will come down about 10% off retail if you haggle a little bit. One dealer near atlanta takes 15% off without even asking but doesn't discount any deeper even on big purchases. Monitor 5s, Minis, a CC370, and a Rava or PB1 would be a great system, but I still think you can do better with Swan's or Rockets. The Rocket 750s and Swan's 6.1s are more in the realm of Paradigm Studio 100s even though the cost much less. The 550s and 5.2s would compare to the Studio 60s (not the same sound but the same sound quality if that makes sense).

For the money you're looking to spend I think you can do better than the Monitor system even though they're some of the best values in a bricks and mortar store. The performance line is also a very good choice for the money, but your budget will allow for much much better choices.

Mark Danner

Stunt Coordinator
Damn!! I listened to the B&W's today and went back to listen to the Paradigm's. I thought I had found the perfect setup with the monitors. They sound so good! I cant help but feel something is missing compared to the B&W's. They are so clean and everything is so seperate. I swear I can her the sound of the guitar pick touching the strings an instant before the note rings out. Its hard to for me to describe. Its like the Paradigm's sounded like other really good speakers. The B&W's on the other hand brought something new to the table. A very clear and crisp sound that I cant even describe. It looks like I will be getting the B&W's (603's, 601's, and LCR 600). I will add a sub when I move into a house.
Any advice on how to wheel and deal with B&W speakers? I guess they cant take off a percentage but should I be able to get speaker wire and connectors or something like that?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks