What's new

Help! Diving into the world of amps! (1 Viewer)

Trevor-H

Auditioning
Alright, so I have finally decided to dive into the world of seperates. My first purchase I have decided is going to be the amp. My only question is which is the most recommended for HT & Music? Money isn't really an issue, however, I would like the best deal I can get. I have been looking at Marantz (ma500, ma700), Parasound (hca 2205, 1205, 1500, 1200 etc.), and Rotel and just can't seem to decide on one. Should I go the monoblock route (i.e. Marantz ma500's and 700's), the 2-channel route or go for the 5 channel amp. Is there better sound found from 5 monoblocks as opposed to a 5channel? Any info/opinions would be appreciated. And if you guys need any more information from me, I'd be happy to provide. Thanks!

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Have you narrowed it down to the Marantz, Parasound, and Rotels, or are they just what you have seen. And what is your budget? What are you using for speakers? What is the size of your room, and what is your ultimate goal?

As for which configuration sounds better- it all depends. Monoblocks in theory are the best. However there are countless multi channel amps out there that will out perform many monoblocks.

-rob

Martice

Screenwriter
Have you narrowed it down to the Marantz, Parasound, and Rotels, or are they just what you have seen. And what is your budget? What are you using for speakers? What is the size of your room, and what is your ultimate goal?

Trevor-H

Auditioning
Sorry about that guys! First post :b.

I'm leaning towards the parasounds for multi-channel, and the marantz for monoblocks because i have read good things about both (although parasound mono's aren't out of the question). I have also read that both amps tend to be a bit "warmer" (however, correct me if i'm wrong), which would tend to help with the "brighter" JBL's I have. I have listened to both and like the sounds that they produce, however, they weren't on my own system.

As for my setup, I have the following:

Mains: 2 - JBL Studio Series S312
Center: 1 - JBL S-Center
Surrounds: 2 - JBL Studio Series S26

Although they are "bright" speakers, I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them. So I would like an amp that is perhaps a bit "warmer" as stated above. I'm also looking for an amp that will be perform for both music and HT as both are a passion of mine.

As of right now, i'm looking to buy an amp(s) for the mains, with a purchase of an amp for the rest to come later, unless it's a high-end 5channel. Right now my budget is somewhere around $1000. Again, more than anything i'm looking for info on which route will get me the "most bang for the buck" as they say. I like the idea of monoblocks because you can buy them one at a time and each channel has it's own amp. Yet, if multi channel will save me some money and provide the same experience...Bring it ON!

Sorry again, and thanks for any info provided.

Trevor

Martice

Screenwriter
Hi Trevor.
Welcome to the world of separates. First off your speakers are very efficient so you won't need much power to push them. However, buying an amp isn't about buying what can handle your speakers now but what difficult to drive speakers you might get in the future as well. You don't want to have to purchase certain components over and over again, so if you have the chance, purchase the best amp you can get and be done with it. I have only one NEW power amp that I can recommend at your price and it happens to be considered a world class amp at that.
CLICK HERE
AND HERE FOR REVIEWS
If you buy a power amp I say (and a few others on this forum) that you buy the best available within your price range.
You may be able to find competitive and possibly superior amps in regards to power, second hand (which is not a bad thing)on this SITE site as well. If you click on the amp section you'll see numerous second hand and new amps for sale. If you see one that intrigues you, go to the discussion forums and look it up on that site. Then come back to this site and see if anyone has heard the amps that you're looking at. Many will make recommendations on amps (just like I am doing) but none of us can ultimately say that you'll like the amp in your system.
Here's a very informative thread that a few of us participated in yesterday and today. It's right up your alley.
THREAD
I personally think that for the money you can do much better in regards to amp power then the ones you are looking at presently. Take your time, research and listen to what you want to buy. If you can't hear the amp in person, make sure that you have a NO QUESIONS ASKED return policy.
Supposed "WARM" amps:
B&K
ADCOM
PARASOUND
Good Luck

Rob Rodier

Supporting Actor
Hey Trevor,

I think that your next decision should be wether to buy new or used. Considering your listening habits (music), I would reccommend getting a two channel amp first. I have had a lot of success on used sites like audiogon, audioweb, and audioreview. There is an obvious disadvantage to buying used, and you need to be careful. However it gives you the opportunity to obtain a really good amp. With $1000 you could get a sweet 2 channel solid state amp.

-rob

Trevor-H

Auditioning
Thanks for the websites guys, and the info. I think that I have finally decided upon a 2-channel amp to go ahead and power my mains, and i'll look for another 2 or 3 channel in the future. With that being said, I'm still looking at a parasound 2 channel and will attempt to find a dealer with adcom in my area to go listen to those as well. Even though I do have the budget for a pretty good 2 channel amp, i guess i'm still not sure as to what that amp would be, so any further help would be great.

(btw...i'm looking at the Adcom GFA 5802, 5500, & 5400 now also)

Trevor

Martice

Screenwriter
Even though I do have the budget for a pretty good 2 channel amp, i guess i'm still not sure as to what that amp would be, so any further help would be great.
The two above quotes kind of threw me off can you explain if you have the amp or not.

*** What are you looking for in an amp? What is it that you think will make you decide if a certain amp is for you?

Trevor-H

Auditioning
To answer your questions Martice....no i haven't decided on a final amp, however, with your help I think that I will be narrowing my search to a 2 channel amp for now to simply power my mains for music. Then in the future I will look to add another 2 or 3 channel amp to the amp i am about to buy. Make sense? I'm just now finishing college and have some $ saved up. So I believe that I'll spend some of my budget on a good 2-channel amp and continue to save for another amp in the future.
As for the amp I will buy, I am still looking but have taken your advice and narrowed the search to 2 channel B&K, Parasound, and Adcom. Having done some reading tonight, I think i'm still leaning towards a Parasound however, with B&K in a close second. I have found the Parasound HCA-1500a online at about $450 and this seems to be a great deal (although i've been wrong before :D ) I was looking at this amp as a 2 channel solution for now, with the purchase of a used Parasound HCA-2003 3-channel in the future. Tell me what you think and if this helps at all.
Trevor

Trevor-H

Auditioning
Hey Steve,

I actually have looked at that add before but $1200 is just a little out of my price range. The $1000 I put aside already was pushing it a little to begin with. But if you don't mind my asking, why are you getting rid of the Parasound? And what were your impressions of the amp itself?

Thanks,
Trevor

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
Trevor,
There are some 5-ch amps that are basically mono-block in design (i.e. Sherbourn 5/1500A @200w/ch, Bryston 9BST @125w/ch). The Sherbourn is often available for $1200 on Audiogon, but wouldn't be characterized as "warm". Unless you're looking for >200w/ch, the Rotel RMB-1075 (not a mono-block design)is a 5-ch amp @120w/ch listed at $999 and is considered "warm" or "laid back". As for true mono-blocks, do you really want to find room for 5 power plugs?

ricky ho

Stunt Coordinator
hey trevor
if your still open for suggestions, take a look at .http:// Link Removed a pair of 100 watt mono-blocks cost $499.00 shipped to your door. they weigh 23 lbs. each and are made to last. they are characteristically neutral

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Trevor,

What is your pre-amp? Thast may assist in a reccomendation as well if we know what you currently have that you are not satisfied with.

I just moved to amps. I use a Onkyo 797 as a pre/pro and placed a AMC 2n100-5 @ 150 x 5 WPC in the system and it really helped. You can get these on line around $600 each new. I paid like $950 locally but I like doing business locally and not off the net.

Having said that I also purchased, on-line, a carver AV 405 to power my rear channel and bi-amped my surrounds.

It really made a huge difference. I can only imagine what something like a Aragon 200 x 7 would be like.

Good Luck!

Phil

Martice

Screenwriter
I think that I will be narrowing my search to a 2 channel amp for now to simply power my mains for music. Then in the future I will look to add another 2 or 3 channel amp to the amp i am about to buy. Make sense?
It sure does Trevor. I run that type of setup myself. I have a 2-channel B&K Ref 4420 (200x2) for my mains and I have an Acurus 100x3 for the fronts and surround. I'm not into 5-channel amps in one box although I'm sure for stereo and movie purposes they would be fine but for full range multi-channel music you may have to be careful because some of these multi-channel amps were not designed to have all channels running full-range at the same time so some strain on the lone transformer may result. If you ever do get a multi-channel (5 or more) amp, make sure that the build quality and parts support reference level playback on all channels at the same time.

Trevor-H

Auditioning
I have a 2-channel B&K Ref 4420 (200x2) for my mains and I have an Acurus 100x3 for the fronts and surround
Martice, I guess that's my next question. My JBL mains can run at MAX Recommended 250w, so should I be looking for an amp that can push 200+ watts per channel, or will 125-150watts from an amp be a big improvement over my 100x5 reciever that I currently use (Yamaha 5280)?
Also, do you notice any discrepancies in running an Acurus amp with a B&K ref?
This will also help me in my decision making a lot I believe and can possibly save me some money.
Btw, I've now started to look at the Acurus amps also, and they seem to have stellar reviews and great products. However, I hear that they are neutral in sound...which I can't decide if I like or not....too many amps too little time! :D
Thanks again for all the help,
Trevor

David Werner

Stunt Coordinator
I second the recommendation for the IRD's, I have 5 of them. Try them for 30 days if you don't like, send them back.

Will Gatlin Jr

Stunt Coordinator
I use five 2-ch amps(2 NAK-PA7A II...1 NAK PA5A II...2 ONKYO M-508 "Grand Integra's", and 2 MA-500 for my double centre. The NAK amps are a "John Threshold" design. I bought all of my amps in the classifieds, and in mint condition. I bi-amp my front/rear spks in a passive mode.

I believe that multi-ch amps are not as good as the same amp in a 2-ch design. JMHO!!

Martice

Screenwriter
Martice, I guess that's my next question. My JBL mains can run at MAX Recommended 250w, so should I be looking for an amp that can push 200+ watts per channel, or will 125-150watts from an amp be a big improvement over my 100x5 receiver that I currently use (Yamaha 5280)?
Yes it will be fine and more than plenty. This amp has pushed PSB Goldi's with not even a drop of sweat. They also ran a pair of Paradigm Ref 100v.2 with no problem. Your JBL's are very efficient and will be under total control of an amp like the B&K or any other solid performing, similarly rated 2-channel amp.

It should be a big improvement over your present 100x5 receiver in terms of bottom end control and localization of details. It should be clearer (especially at louder volumes) due to a lot less distortion in comparison when the receiver is being pushed and using it's internal amplification. When distortion sets in your sound stage collapses, the sense of detail and depth goes out the window and your ears start to hurt. Add in the fact that you have a Yammie, which has a tendency to sound detailed (some say cold) and your asking for it. Your Yammie will thank you for relieving it of the main channel duties and letting it handle the surrounds and center channel.

In regards to having different amps in a multi-channel system, I find a bigger difference when you don't have 3 identical speakers across the fronts then not having matching amps. When I mean identical, I don't mean the matching center, I mean identical speakers. Just like the audio engineer who mixed the movie has in his studio. A lot of people claim that they have seamless sound stages using their matching center but I really think that if they had identical speakers they would think differently. Especially if they have floor-standing speakers the differences are more noticeable. I know some guys who prefer to not have a center at all because when they go phantom center, they experience truly seamless sound stage. There are drawbacks to using the phantom method though so I think the next best thing is identical speakers across the board. If you can't do the identical speaker thing across the board then the traditional matching center channel comes next and then the amplification matching issues could be addressed if you feel the need. These are my findings and not the LAW. Your JBL's may be one of the few that do the matching center channel right. However, in my case I have totally different findings when using the company supplied center channels.

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
For around $1000, you're not gonna get a lot for a 5 channel amp if you buy new, without some discount. At this price range, you have choices like the Adcom GFA-7300($1000), the Marantz MM-9000($1000), Parasound HCA-1205A($1199), Rotel RMB-1075($1300). If you buy used though, you could probably get amps in a difference league, such as my hot favorite trio - Rotel RMB-1095, Sherbourn 5/1500A and the Parasound HCA-2205AT. The new Outlaw 755 should be interesting too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks