What's new

HELP Denon 2900 keeps showing UNUSABLE SIGNAL (1 Viewer)

Richard Huck

Agent
Help I have purchased a Denon 2900 witha Yahama RX2900 well I keep getting a signal on my TV that says UNUSABLE SIGNAL everytime I try to play a DVD so I took the greatter part of the day a tore down the system to see if I had any loose broken cables well found that my composite cable had a bad break so I replaced it put everything together and got the same results I have no idea I have tried everthing I know.When I play a DVD I get audio only 2 channel wiyh no picture therefore I can not access the DVD menu ,PLEASE this is driving me crazy and I have not been able to watch a movie in sometime starting to shake and sweat with a bad mood I want my DVD,Please help,Thanks Rich

Leo

Second Unit
Richard, how is the connection going to the TV? I've seen an unusable signal when trying to plug in an S-video and Composite video cables into the same input on the back of the TV.

Leo

Second Unit
Ok, check to make sure the Progressive mode is not turned on within your DVD player. Make sure it's putting out a interlaced image.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Is the composite cable goes directly to the TV from the Denon,or through the Yamaha receiver? And yes set it interlaced,as it comes progressive default from the factory.
It is however only accessable via on screen menu,so estabilish a direct connection first.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Composite cable from the Denon to your TV,not through the receiver.Once it's set up you can "experiment" with the receiver to loop through,which ever connection you use[S-Video,component, etc..]

Richard Huck

Agent
Thanks for your help I will try tonight when I get done with work ,Thanks again gotta have it done by Thursday after all might get a few new DVD"s.Later Rich

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'm a little confused...

You have what video and audio cable(s) out from the DVD player? And to where are they going?

You have what video and audio cables going out from the receiver? And where are they going?

Your TV, I would assume has Analog Stereo Cables out, going back the receiver for audio on normal TV sources?

On my DVD player, you only get either component or svideo/composite, not both at the same time, and it has to be switched back and forth, it warns of the current input being disabled, so you better have the other hooked up and working if you do confirm it.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Richard, these answers are kind of pointing you in the right direction. But you need to provide more information. What kind of monitor/display are you using? If it's interlaced-only and you're Denon is outputting a progressive-scan signal, the TV won't be able to display it. Make sure the Denon is outputting an interlaced signal.

And if your TV has component-video or S-Video inputs, use them instead of composite.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
If I am not mistaken, the player should not output progressive via composite video. Not to mention, your TV (providing it is HD) will not display a progressive signal on a composite or S-video input. In other words, you MUST use component video to get progressive.

Using composite video with this player would be a lot like looking at the Mona Lisa through a coke bottle.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Precisly which is why I recommended the composite for seting the player up first.
If Richard has component input on his TV it should be used.
Also use the digital outputs from the Denon to get multi channel sound.The analog[stereo] won't do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks