What's new

Help, broken lamp after 4 months!!! (1 Viewer)

Scott Thomas

Second Unit
On November, my brother and I bought a brand new Sony VPL-HS3 projector. Yesterday the Lamp "popped", I called the supplier and Sony and they said the our Warrenty does not cover Lamps (after 90 days), so I had no choice but to spend $200 on a new lamp. I also checked the Air filter and that was dirty too, I replaced the filter as well. My brother and I watch an average of 4-6 hours of the TV and ALWAYS turned it off when we were done.

My projector is hanging from the celing right next the AC vent. Would the Dirty Air filter be the direct casue of the broken lamp?

Also, How oftern should I change the filter?

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
A clogged filter will restrict airflow, which in turn may make the bulb run hotter than normal, so it may be at least an indirect cause.

Start checking the filter more often and replace when it's dirty.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In my experience, the projector starts doing unexpected shut-downs with heat warnings before the lamp actually suffers any harm.

Now, also, I've had numerous lamps develop fine cracks in the reflector and base, as well as distort the arc-tube over time. While we'd like to consider the lamps to be precision optical instruments (they're priced as such!) they really aren't, and there are mechanical variations and flaws that lead to premature failure.

The big concern when a lamp actually pops is, did you get all of the broken glass out of the projector?

Leo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks