What's new

Help a poor college student pick a good system (1 Viewer)

BenKrull

Auditioning
I am new to the home theater arena and I want to setup a good basic system to provide surround sound for dvd's and music. Right now I have about $500 to spend although I will probably have a little more money to add/upgrade in the next 6-12 months. From reading this forum and some other websites, I have found what I think are 2 pretty good options.

The first option is the Kenwood HTB-544 which would be really nice to have everything included since this will be my first HT setup and fits everything within my $500 budget.

The second option I am looking at is buying JBL NSP1 speakers and a reasonably priced receiver to go with it. A Denon 1802 would probably be what I want, but I am definitely open to suggestions since I know almost nothing about receivers. The problem that this option leaves me with is no subwoofer for at least 3 months until I can afford one.

What do you guys think? Any other good options I should be considering?

Curtis H.

Auditioning
I just ordered the Kenwood HTB-544 after much debate regarding mixing and matching. Being new to the HT game, it was starting to drive me crazy. But, after searching around, I felt that I could not go wrong with this purchase and at the same time, would not be dropping a serious amount of cash being I don't know how much I will actually use the system.
So, according to UPS tracking, it should be at my door tomorrow and I should be watching The Fast And The Furious Friday night in a way I have not been able to do in the past. I can't wait!
And yes, I'm gonna use better wires! :emoji_thumbsup:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
People generally speak well of the Kenwood all-in-one systems around here; that is, they are decent product for the money.
My route to super-cheap system :) was to go with KLH speakers from BestBuy (when on sale); for my purposes, this was the most effective way to get a 5 spkr + sub setup for movies. I can't compare to the speakers in the Kenwood kits, though.
Another thing is to keep an eye out for previous-year models, being sold cheap to make room for the new models.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Ben: Does you budget include both a receiver and speakers, or just speakers? Though home-theater-in-a-box systems involve serious compromises, they are much better than the "audio" section of almost any display/monitor/television.
Why not check out the offerings of Cambridge Soundworks? Founded by a true audio pioneer--Henry Kloss, a co-inventor of the acoustic-suspension speaker technology--Cabridge is a direct-selling speaker manufacturer that offers tremendous value and excellent sound.
Another direct-seller to consider for your electronics needs is Outlaw Audio. This firm, for example, makes an ambitious 5.1-channel receiver and sells it online for less than $500.
The beauty of buying components piecemeal is that you can upgrade as time and budget allow.

BenKrull

Auditioning
Jack: My budget is for both speakers and a receiver so I'm going to have to start out cheap.

Looks like a theater in a box is the way to go since its much cheaper than buying each component. Anybody know where to buy the kenwood htb-544 cheaply? Can't seem to find it on anybody's website

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks