What's new

Hedwig DVD (1 Viewer)

PatrickL

Deceased Member
I don't know who taped it, but there are credits in the beginning and cross-cutting and stuff, so it's not a bootleg.
My understanding is that the (excellent!)pro-shot tape of the stage show was never intended for broadcast or sale; sometimes tapes like this are made in the theatre business to attract investors, or to serve as a record of permanence to theatre industry folks. I won't say we'll never see it commercially released, but imo it's highly unlikely.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
and it's all in anamorphic widescreen (which is a real plus in my book).
So Hedwig is presented in anamorphic widescreen? I had wondered about this, since I glanced at this DVD last night and saw no mention of 'enhanced for widescreen' or '16:9.' In fact, the DVD box only mentions 'letterbox.'
As far as I could tell, the DVD itself does not advertise enhanced video, which is a shame because I would have picked this one up.
Good to hear though. :D
Cheers,
Joseph

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I can't think of any recent New Line titles that aren't anamorphic widescreen (and I'm sure I will be corrected on this any second now.)

Yes, the movie and the documentary are both 16x9-enhanced.

- Steve

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
So would anyone know where to find a copy of the stage show? I figured Ebay would have it, but couldn't find anything.

C

Christina_V

Well i just got this for my birthday & saw it completely sight un-seen,no trailers,clips ect....only movie reviews + a few pics was all i've seen till now................and it was awsome!!!
A great movie....funny,sad,moving,entertaining,incredible( + catchy) songs..i really need the soundtrack now...great writting,directing,acting & yes JCM can't get enough praise as he was awsome + looked hot as well.
**** outa of ****

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Belated birthday wishes, Christina!

I suffered through Moulin Rouge last night, thinking that it was time wasted when I could have been watching Hedwig again. The soundtrack is definitely worth a spin.

- Steve

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Steve, I couldn't agree more! We had a Hedwig/Moulin Rouge double feature last night, and after watching Hedwig again (for the 5th time), Moulin Rouge and its recycled music was just unbearable! At least Hedwig doesn't have editing from the MTV school of direction like MR.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Something very cool about the Hedwig DVD -- the ability to PLAY ALL on just the songs! It goes through and plays just the musical numbers in the movie, so it's like having the album. VERY cool.

One interesting note about the soundtrack: There's a soundtrack out that's the songs straight from the movie, and then there's a cast album. If you like this movie a lot, I suggest you buy both versions. The cast album has a song or two that's not on the other soundtrack, plus it has different versions of all the songs.

Again, this is my pick of the year and is one of the best discs I own (out of 380). Kudos to New Line for giving such a low-budget film the royal treatment!

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Hey,

Just wanted to say I watched this last night with my woman and I absolutely loved it! I'm a huge Rocky Horror fan and expected to get into the movie but but no this much.

Very impressive. Excellent story and as someone mentioned earlier it was sad, funny, bizarre and just totally engrossing. JCM was exceptional and deserves some kind of damned award.

The soundtrack is very good (especially the origins of love...great track!). I would heartily recommend this DVD!

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with ST on this. Glad a friend of mine loaned me Moulin Rouge --now I won't buy it. I rented Hedwig, but it's bound for my collection now.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
For those that didn't know, there's a hidden easter egg in the deleted scenes section. Move the cursor until the foam Hedwig hair is highlighted and bingo.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I rented it, and well, I gave it a shot, but it's not really my cup of tea (and others should be forewarned as well). Hedwig reminded me of Brenda on Six Feet Under (in the looks department - facially).

Some of the self-deprecating humor was really deprecating in a sad sense. But if you're in for a bizarre viewing experience, this might foot the bill.

TimW

Agent
I'm right up there with everyone who liked the film, but I think I responded to the stage version a little better. Heck there was even one of the better songs left out. :)
The stage version, I think, had a little more humor to it only because there was more interaction with the audience that I wasn't prepared for.
I do think it's kind of funny to compare this movie to Moulin Rouge, which was more of just a "spectacular, SPECTACULAR!" show. I, for one, did like the spirit of MR a little more than Hedwig, which was a little depressing at times.
They're just two different takes on what a modern film musical can be.
Tim

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks