What's new

Hedwig DVD (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Just thought we might chat it up a bit. I haven't given it a full play yet (saw it at the theater already) but I did go rock out on the DTS musical numbers. I have to say that it sounded strong to me.
Also I think the video looks pretty nice. I didn't put it on the big screen yet, but I didn't see anything yucky with the print at least.
The menu is stylish but perhaps a bit awkward for those who like it straight forward. Sort of hard to see what choice is highlighted.
And this is one time I like a snapper, just because it allows for the cool metallic flake red logo on the front. :)
This film really is a lot of fun and the songs are excellent. It's going to get lots of replay on the songs alone from me.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
It should be mentioned that this film contains one of this year's best performance by John Cameron Mitchell.

~Edwin

C

Christina_V

I can't wait to see this film & just may have to pick up the dvd right away!
It's still playing at some art-houses in Mineapolis,but i don't know where the theaters are,since i'm from St. Paul ect + my current job prevents me from getting out late on the nights shown:frowning:
They had aton of copies at Best Buy....so i think i'll just grab me a copy & give it a spin...looks like a really great movie + JCM looks stunning as well:)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
JCM, IMHO, should be considered for a Best Actor. He is truly dominate in the film and well polished from the Broadway run. He's drag queen without being too queeny, funny without being corny, over-the-top without being unrealistic.

All purchases sight-unseen are risky. However, if you enjoy Rocky Horror then you are halfway there. Just be prepared for something that plays much more serious than RHPS with plenty of emotional scenes as well, along with lots of funny moments and great songs.

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info, I'll be picking this one up soon since I loved it so much in the theater. Not only is Mitchell great, the songs are also fabulous, be it Tear Me Town, Origin of Love, or Wig in a Box.

C

Christina_V

Well i love Rocky Horror + am a dq myself:)......so i think i'll give it a shot,should be awsome.

PatrickL

Deceased Member
It should be mentioned that this film contains one of this year's best performances...
I couldn't agree more, and I can't say enough good things about his performance. Also, I think this movie is mostly terrific - maybe even my favorite of the year. Certainly it's the movie I saw this year that I thought about the most afterward. This is one of those special cases where, in my opinion, I felt like I was seeing something truly fresh that I'd remember for a long time. I hope a lot of people give it a spin now and discover what a surprising little gem it is.

I've had the disc pre-ordered for months but I don't have it yet. The reviews I've read left me feeling confident that New Line did right by the title (even including a DTS track) and I've also heard that the bonus documentary is extraordinary. Can't wait.

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait til Tuesday (and I don't mean Aimee Mann's 80's band). This has been my favorite film of the year and the soundtrack is the best that I've ever heard, bar none. Even though I'm in the middle of finals for my first semester of medical school and studying for about 18hr a day, come Tuesday I'm taking a break and watching this film.

Saw the show Off- Broadway - missed in the theaters. Just wondering what people thought and if it is a good disc. Price is right.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
I haven't seen it on DVD yet, but saw it in theaters. I felt it was an absolutely amazing film. Destined to go down in history as a cult classic. Definately in my top 5 films of the year so far, and (IMO) a better musical than Moulin Rouge. It's funny, it's sad, it's bizarre, it's well acted, it's just an all around incredibly well made film. Definately pick it up if you were a fan of the stage production.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have the disc but haven't had time to watch it. Loved the film in the theater.

M.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
I saw this one in the theater as well... dont know about the DVD, but the movie was decent; I'd give it 6.5 out of 10.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I've only listened so far to the DTS 5.1 track. It really rocked.

- Steve

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I AGREE! having just listened to the DTS track. it sounded VERY GOOD.
The movie was excellent with terrific music.
JCM was great as hedwig.
And I can definitely see this movie going cult status:cool:

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well I was going to apologise about the "newbie" thing if it came off sounding less than friendly or was insulting, but I guess I can't now. :)
HTF is getting more efficient all the time. I'll have to say that this one spun my brain for a minute as I tried to figure out what had happened. :)
Hopefully, Robert knows that his thread just got the mind-meld with mine. Now is that ME wanting a pizza, or Robert. ;)

JimBarrese

Stunt Coordinator
This is a great disc. The documentary is absoulutely excellent. The only problem is that it's so interesting it leaves me wanting to see footage of the stage show in it's entirety. If they have footage to show clips from in the documentary, then I assume they have full shows on tape. They should have made this a two-disc set and included the stage show (because it will never get released on it's own). That way you could really compare the transition from the stage to screen. I know that's probably being greedy, but when something's this good you just can't get enough.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I just finished the documentary, and I agree, it's outstanding. It really captures the evolution of the show, from the first club appearance, to opening night off-off-Broadway, to screen. And yes, I want to see more! I've got an angry inch! :D
- Steve

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I bought this movie sight unseen, and was absolutely floored by how much I enjoyed it. I would put this in my top 5 movies of the year, and I'm glad that the DVD was so well done. I can't wait to watch it with the commentary track!

RafaelB

Second Unit
Jim,

There are 'professionally' shot videos of the Hedwig stage show around, if you know who to ask. I don't know who taped it, but there are credits in the beginning and cross-cutting and stuff, so it's not a bootleg.

Actually, when I was watching that (amazing IMO) doc, they had a couple of clips from the video I have.

If only JCM had more input, I'm sure a version of the stage show would've been included. (well, that's just my wishful thinking, but one can dream, can't one?)

Rafael

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Actually, for something that is probably considered a niche title, I think New Line did a fantastic job. Three-plus hours of content (when you include the deleted scenes and documentary) a commentary track, DD and DTS sound, and it's all in anamorphic widescreen (which is a real plus in my book).

Maybe we can push for a separate video release of the show. I'd certainly pay to see it!

- Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks