Universe Laser, Hong Kong - are these anamorphic transfers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Simon Basso, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Simon Basso

Simon Basso Stunt Coordinator

I notice on the few dvd's I have from Universe, that those with a "widescreen" banner at the top of the front cover are anamorphic. I don't have enough discs, however, to be confident that this is always the case.

So, can anyone confirm that Insomnia and Hedwig and the Angry Inch, both of which have the banner, are anamorphic?

Thanks in advance.

2. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Yes, the "widescreen" banner is Universe's way of saying that the disc is anamorphic. Confusing I know. Of these I have Angel Eyes, Driven, Insomnia, We Were Soldiers, & Get Carter all of which are anamorphic.

3. Simon Basso

Thanks Dean, that is much appreciated.

You don't happen to know of any sites that review the Hong Kong editions of western films? I can't find one anywhere.

4. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

5. Simon Basso

I'm in the UK. Most sites seem to only deal in Asian films, rather than Asian dvd's in their entirety, which is fair enough. I've found a good comparison site called Rewind, and occasionally, some reviews pop up on some R4 based sites, but not many.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I can't think of any that review them in English anyway. If you can read Mandarin or Cantonese then I could probably help you (maybe, cause I can't [​IMG] )

7. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

Sorry Simon, but I don't know of anywhere that reviews these titles, I normally make a blind purchase. I have however become pretty confident that recent Universe discs are generally of good to great quality. Insomia in particular has a stunning transfer, one that I'd rate up there with the Superbit titles for picture quality! I've also seen a couple of the Edko HK dts discs (Resident Evil & K19 The Widowmaker) and these are pretty good as well.

8. Keith E

Keith E Stunt Coordinator

Does the K-19 DVD have any burned in subtitles or is totally free of subtitles when watching and also how is the DTS track?

9. DeanWalsh

DeanWalsh Second Unit

I haven't had a chance to watch K19 yet but I just quickly checked out the opening. The subtitles are removable and are off by default. From what I heard the dts track sounded impressive, lots of low end! Will report back when I have watched it through.