What's new

Heat/True Lies DTS...debating... (1 Viewer)

CraigL

Screenwriter
Hey all,

I've been debating for some time about picking up the True Lies and Heat DTS editions from Japan. I'm hesitant to pick them up because both are having special editions released here in the US. Heat is confirmed. True Lies has been rumored for the last couple of years. What are the chances either one of them will have a DTS track? I know FOX has a good reputation for doing DTS tracks for their 2 disc special editions. Warner Bros has said they will not. Anyone have any ideas?

Wanted to pick up Sleepers as well but I guess that would fall into the same category as Heat (being a Warner Bros) property. But the big difference is that there havent been ANY rumors of that being re-released.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kai Zas

Second Unit
What's the cheapest place to get True Lies? I've been searching for it, but think the price is too high for a bare-bones edition.

Know of any bargain binns?

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Thanks for the heads up on these dts DVDs. Also scheduled for release this week in Japan is dts release of Magnolia. I just ordered the following from Amazon Japan. They may not have the lowest prices out there but I have found them very dependable and they provide excellent service. The Amazon page offers some English support and is very user friendly.

0 True Lies
0 Heat
0 Sleepers
0 Magnolia

I should have them by the end of the week and will report. Sleepers was a very early release in USA and was a flipper. My expectations are that this will be much improved. In the past the Fox releases in Japan have often preceeded the USA release on such older titles and the transfers have been the same as I best recall.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Roger,

What was the total on your order including shipping and handling? Do you mind if I ask? Amazon Japan is EXTREMELY limited in their English dept.

And TL is the only Fox title in the bunch...which is why I was asking. And they're not going to re-release a barebones DTS version over here with no extras. So I guess I'm safe for the moment.

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
Two of the titles were at 3800 yen and two were at 15% discount. Amazon gives 15% on recent releases and pre-order. This is a rather normal discount amount in the Japanese market. I chose the priority shipping which was about 2900 yen. I have been very pleased with Amazon-Japan.

If you are usung Netscape, enable the Japanese reader that is available in the software. This will make the page easier to view even if you can't read Japanese. There is also a Korean reader.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
You can find an indepth comparison review of the new Japanese DTS release and the UK standard release of Heat here.

Chris_Marin

Stunt Coordinator
You can now find our indepth comparison review of the UK Region 2, US Region 1 and the Japanese DTS Region 2 releases of the excellent Cameron actioner True Lies here.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
I have bought these titles from CDJAPAN the last months.

Being John Malkovich (fullrate dts)
Dr. Strangelove (superbit)
Stand By Me (superbit)
Heat (dts)
Le Grand Bleu (dts)
Magnolia (dts)
The Terminator (dts)
The Straight Story (fullrate dts)

I don´t think you should hesitate to buy from Japan, because the japanese editions usually has a very good picture and sound quality.

Even if it´s more expensive you often get much better packing and they don´t include a fullframe version, which improves the picture quality. The packing for Terminator was the nicest I ever seen, much better then my T2 tin case.

I think most of the interesting releases at the moment is japanese. I´m looking forward to see the likely limited digipack edition of KillBill.

CraigL

Screenwriter
Let me know how Stand By Me is. It's the first time a 5.1 mix has been attempted of the film and I'm wondering how they did it. The DD is still mono but the DTS is 5.1.

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
It sounds good to me. This is not a movie that has a lot of surround sound, but when it´s needed it does it´s job very good an the dialogue is clear. The purist´s is not happy, but I like when they remaster old mono tracks.

The picture quality is of course far superior to any other release I know. If you like this movie, this is the edition to own.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks