What's new

Heads up if you're buying an xbox. (1 Viewer)

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I normally don't like to spread rumors but, I had an EB Store Manager confirm for me today the upcoming xbox bundle package which will feature an xbox(of course), the "s" controller and Sega GT2002 and JSRF as pack-in games. Currently they have only two xboxes in stock and are unable to get any more, until this bundle arrives which is due October 15th. That's only a week away, so, if you're thinking of picking up an xbox, hold off for a week and get a couple of good games for free. Pricing remains the same as before. I live in Canada, so we're talking $299 CAN, $199 US.

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
It's not a rumour Peter, check the Futureshop website...the bundle is listed in the Xbox coming soon section.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I've seen the ad, Edan, but futureshop has pulled it from their website. So, I'm not sure if them pulling the ad is confirmation of this bundle or not.

Edan W

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, you're right, they did pull it...and I just looked at it this morning. Wonder what that means? They had Oct 18th listed as the release date, even had a picture of the updated packaging.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
It probably just means that they're going to let people buy the box without the games until the 15th.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
In addition, although not confirmed yet, PSO 1 & 2 that is being distributed and released by Microsoft will not be released for sale. Yes, you heard that, MS will not sell the game!!! Why??? Well, it is going to be packed with the X-Box Live package. From what I have been told (and yet again, not 100% confirmed) for $49.99 you get:
1 Year Xbox Live Subscription, Headset, PSO 1&2, Demo of Whacked, Demo of Moto GP which will also open the retail released versions on-line abilities.

RichardMA

Second Unit
The Microsoft money changers bragged they have x-billion $
to waste on X-Box in order to fully crack the games market
so don't be surprised if they decide to nearly give
them away at some point. Just think how happy Intel will
be; Their latest debacle (64bit Itanium failure) cost
them $5 billion, their market is in the toilet but hey,
they get to dump a few million more obsolete processors
into the X-Box production!

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Scott, I hadn't heard about PSO 1 & 2 being packed in to xbox live. I guess a big question, would be, if this pans out, what about monthly fees. Isn't the gamecube version supposed to cost $8.95 a month.

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Peter, I'm sure there are going to be monthly fees associated with PSO on the Xbox, but I think it would be a good move to have the first subscription based game free with the starter kit. I think by doing this they will have more users than they would if it was a game that was purchased separately, of course this is just a rumor right now, but I hope it's true.

Andre F

Screenwriter
So, check out my dileema. I have an unopened Xbox sitting in my house with two games (Halo and Munch). Since this is my anniversary present I have to wait until this weekend to open it. Now I'm considering returning most of the stuff and getting this package deal instead. However, I have yet to see this confirmed by MS so I don't know if I should wait or what...uuuggggghhhh

Scott "E"

Second Unit
Andre, I'm almost 100% positive the bundle is real, I've heard it from too many people. If I were you I would return the Xbox, keep the games (you've got 2 winners there) and wait until the 15th to get the bundle. Just think, after you re-bought the Xbox Toe Jam and Earl 3 is a week away :D

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
However, I have yet to see this confirmed by MS so I don't know if I should wait or what...uuuggggghhhh
Andre, if I were in your place I'd return it and wait. Its rumored to be due on October 15th..whats another week or so, worse case you can just wait until ToeJam is released. If it does happen you can get the bundle system and the 2 games you own. Thats 4 games for your Xbox. Sounds damn nice to me!

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
As much as I think that this seriously sucks (for me anyway- I paid $300 with the original controller) I can honestly say that I still think I got a great deal for such an amazing system. For those considering getting an Xbox, this deal couldn't be sweeter.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, I say keep Halo and Munch, return the system. Tuesday rolls around, no xbox bundle, you can always repurchase the system and not be out anything. If the bundle is there, then you just got yourself two free games.

But, the store manager at EB is telling me it's coming for the 15th and she was also told that they can't get anymore of the old systems. They only have two of the old packages in stock and they're stuck with those until next Tuesday. So, it looks like this bundle will replace the old system package, at least for a while.

MS needs a big lift for Xmas. The ps2 has GTA Vice city which will move systems, and Nintendo has their Mario bundle coming shortly. MS needs to move systems in North America and Europe. Japan is largely a lost cause as far as sales go. So, this bundle package makes a lot of sense. MS needs to do something to keep from falling too much off the pace the ps2 is setting and they simply can't afford to have Nintendo mount a xmas comeback with mario, metroid, and resident evil 0 leading the charge. Too many big name titles have fallen off the 2002 calendar for MS to sit back and do nothing.

JohnTKline

Stunt Coordinator
I was thinking of buying an xbox yesterday, and they were all out at Wal Mart. They said they didn't have any more coming in, this was showing on thier inventory system. What a good omen for me to be out of stock, I'll wait and see what happens next week. I already bought a ps2, but hey, with that deal might as well get another system...

John

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't find any SKU for this at work today, which is odd since it's not that far off. But we do only have like, 1 system left. A guy today bought one and I almost felt sorry for him.

I hope this is true. Not only do I want to take advantage of it somehow, but it makes it a no-brainer for parents buying their kids a Christmas present. Well, expect for maybe the Mario bundle.

The ball is in Sony's court now.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
Well, Sony doesn't really have to do much of anything. They can leave the ball just where it is, which is probably what they'll do. Sony outsells the xbox and gc combined in the North American market. While I agree that this proposed xbox bundle is a great value, neither JSRF nor Sega GT2002 are system sellers.

JasonKrol

Supporting Actor
as mentioned earlier about PSI 1&2 being packaged with Xbox Live!; well, that just doesnt really make sense to me.
Why would MS include a game (PSO) with the starter kit that would require a monthly subscription? I think that A) would upset alot of people and B) not make any sense?!?!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks