WWE: Bring the Pain (PS2)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Doug Miller, Oct 31, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    Thought I'd post a quick review of WWE's new PS2 game, Bring the Pain. I bought this game figuring it would be a total rehash of the Smackdown brand of games, with an updated roster and new entrance themes... yeah, I was kinda wrong about that one.

THQ has changed this game up quite a bit, so if you've avoided the game because you didn't want a Smackdown 3, you might give it a shot. The graphics are dramatically improved, the graphics I thought were close to XBOX RAW (the first one, I never bought the second one). Gameplay is similar to the past Smackdown games, but countering moves is a lot harder than in the past, using the L2 and R2 depending on whether you're defending against a grapple or a strike. Instead of straight grapple and moves, there are the four levels of grapple from strong to fast, weak, etc. that are all controlled by the d-pad and O. From there it's another combination for moves. I've only played a handful of matches, and it feels like the moves will be pretty deep. Like previous Smackdown games, special move is still done with the L1.

A ton of new matches including the elimination chamber (which I thought was pretty dull, waiting a minute for my guy to be let out of his cage) and a first blood match. I was excited to see a first blood match but it has a few quirks -- 1)This is not WWF Attitude, you can't crack a guy on the head twice with a chair and win the match, you've got to beat his ass repeatedly, I highly recommend using the sledgehammer. 2)The computer is a complete dumbass. I had a 10 minute match with Goldberg, and the computer never did anything to specifically bust my head open. I was on the receiving end of 5 Jackhammers, but that doesn't do anything to draw blood. I think this would be way better with a real opponent.

So recap, positives great graphics, extended and modified gameplay. What are the negatives? This game can be really hard -- no, I'm serious, this game can be tough. I probably just haven't got adjusted yet (and I don't read instructions). When your opponent gets on a roll, it's over. One of the new gameplay additions is the body meter that keeps track of vulnerable and weakened areas, when the meter is red, you don't get up fast, you don't recover fast, you don't punch fast, you pretty much bend over. I've been on the receiving end of a few quick losses because the computer gets on a roll.

All this and that said, I'm still really enjoying the game. I'd like to comment on the season mode to see what changes there are, but we're moving pretty soon, so I (by mistake) packed up all my memory cards. Whoops!

I'd say it's worth a buy.

Doug

2. TedT

TedT Second Unit

I LOVE this game. Best US wrestling game I've ever played.

I like the fact that it's "hard". I don't like to use that word. I'd rather say it's "challenging". You're only going to win a match if you work at it! A submission is only going to work if you've been working on a body part for awhile. Saying that it's "hard" makes it sound like the game is impossible. And it's not. You CAN win, if you work at it. Of course it doesn't hurt if you're Brock Lesner.

I like how it's hard to get someone to bleed (not like Backyard Wrestling, where every hit draws blood). And I like how you have to earn a pinfall or submission.

The AI may be bad on the First Blood matches (haven't had one yet, but the bad AI may of had to do with who your opponent was), but I think the AI is great (compared to other games, especially the other Smackdown games).

I don't like how it's SOOOOOOO easy to fall off the cage in the Hell In The Cell (how DO you climb down off the cage anyways?) That's about the only complaint I have of this game so far (after 3 solid days of playing).

The Last Man Standing matches are EPIC battles! I've only had a couple of them, but damn, I worked very hard (and lost both of them) and had a blast playing them. They really fixed this match, as the referee doesn't count to "10" in 2 seconds like it did in the last version, giving you an automatic win if you got your opponent on the mat. (ok, I'm slightly exaggerating, but that's what it seemed like on previous versions).

I love the playability. Season mode is great too! I'm in December with RVD. Seems pretty deep, though I hear it's not too deep if you choose to go past the first year.

3. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Great game. I don't watch wrestling on TV but I've always loved the games and this ranks right up there with anything I've played. [​IMG]

I'm in December with the Rowdy one, Roddy Piper. He's feuding with The Undertaker and the Corporation. I'm about to go into Survivor Series where I have to take them all on in the elimination chamber.

I love what they've done with the body-specific damage and the way weight is now factored in so that a cruiserwieght can no longer chokeslam or suplex Big Show...

I've had some great bouts. One of the best was against the aforementioned Undertaker when, after a long and bitter match, he pulled out a Last Ride and laid me out. Only, before he could cover for the pin, my faction mate Brock Lesnar, acting as manager for the match, grabbed his ankle and distracted him. I was able to get up and nail him with Piper's sleeper hold and win by submission.

4. RudyN

RudyN Supporting Actor

Rudy Nunez
    This got some good reviews. I'll probably pick it up tomorrow. I was kind of disappointed when I heard the classic wrestlers do not have their theme music, but overall it sounds good.

5. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

Well, my fued with the Undertaker ended with me taking a loss in the chamber but it wasn't a title match so I didn't make out too badly...

Then McMahon brought in The Million Dollar Man to take me on. I sent him out on a stretcher in our first match. We then got it on in a 3 Stages of Hell match at the Pay-Per-View. Unfortunately for DiBiase, I beat him so badly in the first match (hardcore) that he had nothing left for the 2nd (cage) and I won easily.

Now Brock Lesnar wants a shot at the gold...

6. Paul Simmons

Paul Simmons Stunt Coordinator

I played it at EB, the game runs so smoothly, and the characters actually look like themselves (woah!) some of the moves have lengthy animations too.
    I'd consider it as a MUST BUY!

7. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

I played through the entire first year of the season in one weekend and I must say this game is AWESOME. The graphics are great, the AI is great, the new damage system is great(especially how it KILLS you to fall off the cell). My main complaints are with the match cards and a few of the match types. It seems wierd to only have 3 matches per card, and you also get the option to interfere very rarely. You can only go out to help one of your friends....you can't go to attack an enemy and make him lose his match. The backstage areas also aren't very good, even compared to past Smackdowns. I also don't like how the tables just fade away when you put someone through them, as well as the fact that you can't stack tables and only 2 tables can be on the screen at once. No weapons during Hell in the Cell either. I'd like to see the TLC matches more like the great ones from the WWF's past, with multiple ladders including really tall ones, and tons of stackable tables.

My season was an absolute blast. I'm pissed that they took Hardcore Holly, my favorite wrestler out, but they did leave his moveset in and he's pretty easy to make. I teamed with Taker to start since the CAWs have low stats and it was easier to win tag matches. The story took quite a few twists and turns, and eventually I ended up at wrestlemania fighting Kurt Angle in the cell for the world title, which was awesome considering Angle is the one who broke Holly's arm. It was actually a pretty long match with both guys practically dead from falling off the cell, I eventually won with a finisher through the top of the cell.

8. Damien

Damien Supporting Actor

anyone know where to find X-port saves?

9. John_Bilbrey

John_Bilbrey Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like THQ brought back the control scheme from the old WWF series that was on N64, which I liked a lot. Different strength grapples lead to different moves. I became weary of wrestling games after the WWF ones on DC and the early PS2 games - I couldn't handle the button smashing list ala Mortal Kombat (which I love BTW). Anyway, good move THQ, sounds like a must have....