What's new

HDTV recs for $1500-2000? (1 Viewer)

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Are there any upcoming deals I should be looking at or is it better to wait after Xmas? If now, what models should I be looking at. I don't need an extremely large tv as I live in an apartment but I want the biggest I can get. Any deals or general rcs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Anything? I was looking at a 51 in. SOny today at CC for $1800, a Hitachi 51 in for $2100, and at BB there was a 47 in. Panasonic for $1300. Which of these models would you go for and are these prices decent? I have a small apartment and the viewing distance is about 8 feet, could add another foot if needed. THanks

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hi, Chris.

I was in almost the same boat as you although I wanted to stay closer to $1500-1700, which limited my choices since a lot of good widescreen sets hover around or just above $2K street price. Since it sounds like you don't mind breaking $2K, you should probably include the Toshiba 50H82 in your consideration, especially if you plan to watch a lot of 4x3 programming in some sort of stretch mode. You could probably get that for ~$2K or maybe a tad more. Also, if you liked the Panny 47" you saw, but want something bigger, you should consider the 53", which is what I'm about to get.

FYI, my usual viewing distance will also be ~8', and 50-53" seems ideal to me. And I will be using the set primarily for DVD viewing, not quite so much 4x3 stuff.

BTW, which Panny 47" did you see at Best Buy? I didn't think they would sell it that cheaply ($1300) even for Black Friday. Their website has the 47wx42 on sale for ~$1500.

And oh! IF optimal 4x3 quality is a high priority, then you should also consider a 4x3 set like the Toshiba 50H72. That's what I almost bought before reconsidering my priorities to go w/ a widescreen set.

Hope this helps a little...

_Man_

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
4x3 isn't that important to me. Video games and DVD is my thing. I am not sure which pany it was. Going back tomorrow to check it out. WHere and how much are you getting your 53in for. I like your price range a lot better but this is one of those buys that if the set is a lot better with a few hundred more than I can do it. I wanted to stay with SOny since almost everything I own is SOny but from what I have read, they are lacking compared to others. Thanks for the reply

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I don't play any video games, but do watch lots of DVD as do the rest of the family, which is why I'm taking the plunge now--watching Lord of the Rings on our 32" Toshiba finally pushed us over the edge. :D
Since you don't care much about 4x3 content, then you might as well save the $$$ and get a set that do best for 16x9 content. And seems like plenty of people do own the Panny's for video games. Just make sure you turn down the contrast so you don't burn out the TV, especially w/ the video games--and that would be true for any RPTV you get.
I plan to order the 53wx42 from OneCall.com. Surprisingly, they actually sell it for ~$1600 w/ free shipping (and no sales tax of course) PLUS they currently have a promo code for $60 off when you spend $1600-2100 (code is 2hx60). I'll probably get some extra stuff to push the order over $1600 (eg. Avia disk) and add their white glove delivery, if it's not too expensive. If you prefer to buy it locally, you can probably get it pricematched since OneCall is an authorized dealer.
_Man_

Chris Hiter

Stunt Coordinator
Got Sears to pm the 1599 for the 53 in. Panny but they also brought their price of the 51 in. Hitachi UWX down to $1899 so now I am confused on which one to get? Damn these hard decisions.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... That's a tough call.

Personally, I would still stick w/ the Panny and spend the $300 on something else, but that might just be me. If you want best PQ for the $$$, then I suggest putting the $300 toward ISF calibration instead of the Hitachi unless there's some specific features you really want that the Panny doesn't offer. If you don't have a progressive scan DVD player, maybe that's where part of the $$$ can go. OR spend it on the software instead.

In the end it's always gonna be your call.

Brian Walsh

Auditioning
The Pannys are a great value and have many fans. Also check out the Philips 55pp9352. I have seen these sets going for under 2k..(got mine under $1800) Nice detailed picture, red push is low, and Philips is throwing in a basic HT with PS DVD player PLUS 26 weekly movie rentals at BlockBuster. Got mine on a price match at Sears...for $40 more dollars they will deliver and set up in your home. Also Sears has 60 day return policy...always good to have the "peace of mind" factor going for ya!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Brian,

Regarding Sears, what is the total cost of shipping w/ them bringing the set into your home?

If the shipping is very low, I might just go get the Panny for them instead.

Thanks.

_Man_

Brian Walsh

Auditioning
For myself...the final price was $40. But I live in the Phoenix area and have a Sears nearby. You may want to call them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks