What's new

HDTV reciever question (1 Viewer)

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
I recently purchased an infocus 4805 for my HT. Currently we only have basic cable service. To take advantage of the projector I was contemplating trying out an HDTV service.

Currently we do not use cable boxes, just a straight feed into the TV. If I get an HDTV tuner and feed, will I need to put cable boxes on the rest of the TV's? Can I just add a HD tuner onto the projector and leave the rest as is?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
Yes.

If your cable company offers HD they will add the HD box.

If they do not and you want an OTA, you can get an OTA HD tuner and hooked it up along with your cable.

Eric

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Eric.

You'll need a long component cable and the VGA adapter from Infocus to get the signal to the projector. HD will look fabulous on that machine, it looks fantastic on my X1.

JohanD

Stunt Coordinator
My projector has component connectors on it, what would the converter be used for?

Also will my other TV's still run fine without a cable box? Or would they need the HD box?

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Without knowing who the cable company is and exactly what they do its not possible to say with 100% certainty. But for every company and situation I'm familiar with the other TVs will operate just as before. They're getting analog stations off the cable. Adding digital service and the HD service is an addition on top of the analog signal and won't impact the basic service.

mylan

Screenwriter
I agree with Dick on this one. I have an HDTV DVR downstairs, digital upstairs with a box, and for the bedroom tvs we don't use much, we got plain old analog with no cable box. This is with Charter and I would imagine all other cable co. as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks