What's new

HDTV Receiver (1 Viewer)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
I hope I have the right forum for this question. Please move it if not.

I recently learned that the local stations in my area are now broadcasting DTV and HDTV over the air.

Can anyone recommend a good HDTV receiver? I have no interest in satelite service, so that is not an issue. What kind of features should I look for? It will be hooked up to a Toshiba 40H80.

Thanks.

JimmyK

Javon_W

Agent
Yes I would like to know the same thing as well and cannot get satillite in my area (not a clear view of souther sky). I was wondering if there was a decoder that can connect to my cable and receive HDTV signals thru cable connection.

Larry Schneider

Second Unit
I just put in a Toshiba DST-3000; it will receive off-the-air signals, cable and DirecTV. A new model was just announced so you might be able to get a deal on one.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was wondering if there was a decoder that can connect to my cable and receive HDTV signals thru cable connection
A lot of Time Warner cable systems have a special HD box that decodes HD. Regular OTA receivers will work if the cable company isn't scrambling the signal.

-Robert

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Are all those channels available on a single service? I thought that HD-Net was on DirectTV only and Discovery HD was on Dish only.

My cable company (Cox) is saying they expect to roll out HDTV in my area next year and will offer the local channels as well as others in HD. For this reason, I don't want to spend too much on a HD receiver, only to replace it with a cable box in a year or so.

Keep the suggestions comming!

Thanks,
JimmyK

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
like Robert said, the Samsung SIR150 is the only OTA only HD rcvr, but you could always use any of the satellite units without activating satellite service.

Samsung is coming out with several new models very soon, so the 150 can be found pretty cheap. abtelectronics.com has it for $450 shipped and a mfr rebate for $100, making the total cost only $350.

Javon_W

Agent
A lot of Time Warner cable systems have a special HD box that decodes HD
The thing is that I dont have time warner cable I have cablevision. So since the samsung is the only one that works I think I will get that instead of the toshiba brand. One question, I was reading about the RCA one and says it does analog signal so does that mean that one will do cable also? And I just want to watch channels that had HDTV programming like ABC7, FOX5, NBC4 since I watch those channels the most.

Larry Seno Jr.

Supporting Actor
FYI the new Samsung OTA ONLY reciever has an MSRP of $350 and a MUCH better chip than the SIR150, I'd wait, as they supposedly street this month.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are all those channels available on a single service? I thought that HD-Net was on DirectTV only and Discovery HD was on Dish only.
You are correct. I thought you might want to start a dish farm and get all of the services. I didn't mention any of the Canadian services but they carry HD also.

-Robert

Craig Robertson

Supporting Actor
i do have to agree with Larry. if you must have a STB now, then i still recommend the SIR-150, but if you can wait, pick up the new model that should be available soon. it will potentially perform better, and will certainly be cheaper. it suspect it will street at ~$275 soon after release, then drop more as availability catches up with demand.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
If new models are coming soon, then I think I may wait to see whats coming.

I did see some info. on the new Toshiba. I noticed it included a DVI(?) output with the copy protection crap. It also said it had component outputs, but it wasn't clear if an HDTV signal (ie - 1080i) would be available using the component jacks, or if HD was only available at the DVI connection.

Keep the info coming!

JimmyK

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks