What's new

HDTV in Washington, DC. I've got questions (1 Viewer)

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all:

I just got the Samsung sirt150 HD box and it's hooked up through my XBR450. HD rocks. Here's my questions:

1) I got the RS double bowtie antenna. With it, I get CBS, FOX, NBC (Tonight Show only), and 2 PBSs. What's up with ABC? I can't get a signal.

2) My PBS stations come and go. Reception's no more than 50% strong, and sometimes it won't find the signal at all. Any ideas why?

3) When stations aren't broadcasting their HD in widescreen, the 4x3 picture is windowboxed. But it still looks better than my analog cable. Is it 480i, or do the stations upconvert it to something else?

4) What other digital stations are on in the DC area besides CBS, FOX, PBS, and NBC?

By the way, assume I live right next to the White House. My antenna's pointed NW (I've found that to give the best reception, such as it is), and there's another building 50' away and in my antenna's way that's 4 stories higher than my antenna.

Thanks,

-Erik

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
1) ABC in DC, WJLA, I believe, does not broadcast HDTV. On 39-1, there is never anything on. On 39-2, they have their regular programming which is in 480i.

2)I am all the way out in Frederick Md. and I am having the same problem with 27-1. It comes and goes. I thought it was because of weak signal strength, (they are not broadcasting at full power yet!) However, last year, when I first got HDTV, 27-1 was my strongest MOST CONSISTENT station. Multi path maybe, or some other strange thing going on??

3)480i- but it does look better, cleaner than cable, analog or sat

4)I don't think there are any other stations in DC- but, if you want to try a preamp or a bigger antenna, Baltimore stations are available. I get channel 13, (as 38 digital, I believe), VERY well, channel WMAR 2, (as channel 52) pretty well, (and they ARE doing ABC HDTV AND 5.1!!) and RARELY do I get WBAL on 59 but NBC looks fine from DC. Have you tried channel 43 yet? I think it is Pax?? I rarely get that one- but you may get it very well. Try Titantv.com to see what other stations are out there. Oh, sometimes, on channel 35, (WDCA channel 20 will get that spot when they start broadcasting in digital), there are some cool demos- but usually only on 9 to 5 Mon to Fri.

George Fogel

Agent
I had a huge problem getting 27-1 starting last summer, even called the antenna installation guys back. It turned out that WETA had moved its digital transmission tower from somewhere in NW DC to somewhere off George Mason Highway......I needed to point my antenna in a totally different direction. Even with that, I still had drop-outs which I attributed to the high trees that surround my house (I'm in Arlington). But I do believe that they do have fluctuating signal strength. I once sent an e-mail to the station asking that question, but never got a response.

Scott Gilbert

Stunt Coordinator
I live in Vienna. PBS seems to come and go. I have a rooter on my antenna and when I hit PBS I can get about 80% but then I leave it there and Turn on the TV the next day and PBS is gone? I miss their loop However HDNet is great.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
I am in Sterling, VA in an area where roof tops are not allowed and have a RS 10 ft. antenna in the attic. I am in a good reception area as the bottom of my lot sits just under 100 ft. above sea level so where the antenna sits it is about 125 ft. I had the house pre-wired to my specs and I did not use a signal strength meter when I put it in but rather a compass along with a TV. I know I get good reception since before I positioned the antenna at all, I threw is up there and was actually able to see faint ghosts of ABC Channel 6 in Phildelephia one night (no amps and split a few times). I am able to get Balt. and DC stations. I got the Samsung HD Decoder in November and was able to get everything good on digital or HD with the exception of WETA. I also had some loss in quality running in out of the Samsung unit on analog TV so I got a RS variable preamp to make-up for the losses on the runs and splits and had to tweek it to its minimum gain to avoid interference on analog channels (I can still notice a hair on Channel 4 only on my bedroom TV) and get WETA but have occasional drop outs. During the snow the other day, everything in Balt. and DC came in fine except for the 2 public TV stations which had major drop-outs. In the near future (probably wait until WB and UPN go digital which on their applications would seem to indicate May), I plan on getting a better preamp, perhaps Channel Master, so hopefully I will be able to tweek my reception.

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
WRC, WUSA, and WRC all send 1080I all the time, even when not showing HD material. When showing their regular non-HD programming, they upconvert the signal locally to 1080I. It's not HD, but it is as far as your display is concerned.

WJLA sends 480I. Last I checked, WTTG was sending 720P.

Chris Moreau

Stunt Coordinator
I live in a highrise in NW DC and use the RS bowtie, as well. The only local digital channel that I have problems with is channel 5. Interestingly, there is some sort of interference, so I can't get their analog channel at all; but, of course, that has no bearing whatsoever on the digital one since it's actually on 36 (I think). Anyway, the two WETA digital channels, now displaying as 26.1 and 26.2, both have a much lower signal strength reading than any of the others; however, I've had no problem at all in getting them.

BTW, I'm using the Toshiba DST-3000 and will be charged an additional $150 if I don't activate the satellite service within the 30 day period (about 2 weeks left). I already know that I can "see" the satellites from my window. Does anyone know if I can receive a signal through the glass? There is no screen, so the glass would be the only factor.

Erik_C

Stunt Coordinator
Hey. It's me, the guy who asked the questions. I've been fooling around with my antenna's positioning and bought an amplifier for it at Radio Shack. Now I get FOX and CBS great all the time, very strong. PBS also is solid. I now get a decent signal for ABC, but all they broadcast is their usual programming, not upconverted or anything, and it's squished to fill the 16x9 frame. So who cares.

I also finally get NBC some of the time. Once in a while it loses signal lock, but for the most part, it works. This HD box was the best $400 I ever spent.

-Erik

kita

Auditioning
Please Help. I live in Prince William County, about 15 min west of Potomac Mills Mall. I have an HDTV but need to get an HDTV Sat Receiver and the antenna. BTW Sony SAT-HD100 and the Toshiba DST3000, which one is better. Also, which antenna should I use for 1080i HDTV signal? I don't mind getting a roof/attic mount since I do live in a "dip" and have lots of tall tree around. Please help. Thanks

Judy Y

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I have not tried to get satellite through glass, but have read some threads describing how it it possible. Apparently, windows with lead in the glass mess up the signal. Some guys have changed out their windows with high quality plexiglass to get around this. Others had newer windows which did not seem to have the problem. Hope this helps. BTW, if you do a search at AVSforum.com in the HDTV section, you may find out more.

Kita,

Check out Titantv.com to find out about OTA HDTV broadcasts and get suggestions for antennas. As for HDTV set top boxes, there does not seem to be a perfect box out there. Both the Sony and the Toshiba have problems. Toshiba has been fixing their problems, (from what I have read), some of the issues with the Sony may not be fixable and some people are returning the Sonys. But, again, any STB has SOMETHING about it people don't like! Check for reviews on each one before deciding what you can live with and what you can't!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks