What's new

HDTV in Tacoma-Seattle area? (1 Viewer)

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I'll be re-locating to the Tacoma-Seattle area in September. I'll be living somewhere close to McChord Air Force Base if I can.
Can anyone give me some information on HDTV in this area? How many local channels are broadcasting in HDTV right now in this area?
Also: Any good HDTV web sites I can check out? I need to purchase a new HDTV ready TV and HDTV receiver...and I want to make sure I get the right components :)
I currently own a Directv w/ Tivo Sattelite dish receiver. Would going with the Directv HDTV receiver be a good way to go? Would this render my Directv w/ Tivo receiver useless on an HDTV setup?
Sorry so many questions...I have a few months before I would need to purchase the equipment (HDTV ready TV-and HDTV Receiver), so any help would be most welcome. THANKS!
------------------
I WAS DRUGGED AND LEFT FOR DEAD IN NEW MEXICO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID T-SHIRT

My DVD Collection

Link Removed

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael,
there are 4 channels broadcasting in this area currently (besides HD HBO and Showtime via sattelite), King 5 (NBC) http://www.king5.com/hdtv/index.html (only one with a specific HD page that I can find), Komo 4(ABC) http://www.komotv.com/defaulthome.asp Kiro 7(CBS) http://www.seattleinsider.com/partners/kirotv/ and of course, PBS. The Fox affiliate is Q13 http://www.q13.com/ but they haven't had any HD programming yet, to my knowledge. I currently don't have HD capability, so I can't help you out much more than that (I'm sure there are many others in the area who could help out with more info).
Hope this helps out,
Aaron
------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.

Michael D. Bunting

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Aaron - Thanks so much for all the helpful links! I'm checking them out now!
How do you like the Seattle area? I have always wanted to travel to the Pacific Northwest...looks like I'll get my wish now...and my wife and I are very excited about our transfer!
Looking into buying/renting a house somewhere near McChord AFB right now. How does this area stack up in regards to the other areas around the Seattle-Tacoma area? Any reccomendations?
Thnaks a bunch
Mike

Aaron Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Michael, let's try this again (I had written a big response about the area and the forum went down).
I'll start with the bad things about the area: Traffic and Power. If you'll be staying in the McChord/Tacoma area, you won't deal with the traffic much. If you have to drive into Seattle regularly though, watch out for that. Power issues out here in the west have caused prices to increase just about every other month for the last 8 months or so, so expect some high bills.
You shouldn't have too much trouble finding places to live, or with the prices around McChord. It should be more affordable in that area than further north. You can take a look at www.tribnet.com (the Tacoma News Tribune) to get an idea of prices.
There are a lot of things to do around here with your free time. Hiking trails are very abundant, as well as water activities (during the summer, you'll see tons of boats). There are plenty of ski areas too, if you like that. We have 3 pro sports teams, Mariners, Seahawks and Sonics, so if you're into that there's plenty to see. The movie scene is pretty good here, although there could be some more good theaters. We have a film festival every year (it starts in a couple of weeks), and many art house theaters in the area, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding things to watch (although you'll probably have to head into Seattle to take advantage). For more stuff, check seattle.citysearch.com . Shopping is pretty good, and there are some great HT shops (Magnolia HiFi and Definitive Audio to name a couple).
I think you'll like your time up here at the AFB, you're coming at the right time of year for the weather, that's for sure.
Hope this helps out,
Aaron
------------------
Somebody Set Up Us The Bomb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks