What's new

HDTV antenna for Manhattan apartment? (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Forgive a complete newbie:

I have never played with HDTV, but just realized that I could get an Elgato EyeTV 500 box for my Mac.

Is there a (small I hope) antenna that will give me decent reception for a Upper West Side third floor apartment in Manhattan? I have no roof access, but I do have a (South facing) deck. So an outdoor antenna is possible, but must be modest in size. Indoor would be fine too.

Does anyone have experience with my situation? Am I dreaming?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Ted

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
Ted
San Francisco & New York tend to have the same problems when it comes to antennas. Tall building tend to play havoc with signals.
I am approx 1/8 of a mile from the HDTV antennas yet could not pick them up with a indoor model but a friend of mine did a couple of miles away.
Pick one up from a Radio Shack and make sure you can return it.
You never know.
Good Luck
Grant

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Grant,

Thanks for the advice. I am less concerned about the cost of the indoor antenna then I am for the ~$350 Elgato EyeTV 500 box... FWIW, I was in Radio Shack the other picking up some cables, asked about the indoor antennas, and the sales guy said not to bother as reception in our neighborhood sucks. So I am rather discouraged.

The one positive was a MSNBC piece reviewing an ATI All in Wonder HDTV card, and stating that the included indoor antenna worked in downtown Manhattan (which one would think is even worse when it comes to tall buildings). Too bad the Elgato folks don't throw in the antenna -- if I had only one thing to return, I'd consider it...

Phil -- yes I did look at AntennaWeb -- no useful info for someone in my situation. I am amazed that there aren't any HDTV experienced New Yorkers here -- I guess they all must be TV challenged like me.

I am looking for a place to watch election night coverage, and it seems that practically all my friends are like me and don't have TV. I must be the only HTF member who hasn't had TV in 20 years. Maybe those tall buildings are protecting me from wasting my time, and telling me I should just go back to watching my DVD collection ;)

Ted

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Ted, you can also go to a couple of the manuf. websites like channelmaster.com and others and try sending them an E-Mail. I'm sure they have technical staff with expertise.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I would say, get an antenna for the porch or have it near a window. Hook it up to a normal TV and see if you get a good signal.
Ghosting is fairly well eliminated on those frequencies but you need a strong signal....no static; a eraditic signal is ok.
If you get that type of signal, you have a good chance.

You will not find a absolute answer ....I am working on the antennas that the Next Generation GPS Ground Stations will use and unless you can stick a dish in your place and point it at the HDTV you will never know....too many variables.
Try one and move it around and see if you can get a decent signal and write back if you have questions

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks