What's new

HDMI to DVI cable vs HDMI cable and DVI adaptor (1 Viewer)

Dave>h

Second Unit
Hi,

I currently have the latter situation, HDMI cable and a DVI adapter hooked into my TV (SAMSUNG DLP 61"). I think that HDMI operates at a higher bit rate than DVI for video but that is about all I know about the difference between these two technologies.

My question is, will I get better video representation if I switch to a dedicated HDMI to DVI cable?

The reason I ask is that on some HD DVD movies, I am getting what I call pixelization in solid backgrounds (example would be background walls or sky shots, anything with a lot of solid color or white in the background). This could be macroblocking or some other techinical term that I am not all that familiar with either!

I do not know if this is a firmware issue and it will be rectified with the installation of the 2.0 firmware (I am currently running 1.4) or if getting a dedicated cable might help.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Dave - I seriously doubt that the pixelation you're seeing has anything to do with your cabling. It's more than likely an issue with your DLP display, some of which are known to have banding or blocking issues. Also, is your set 720p or 1080i?

Dave>h

Second Unit
HI,

The Samsung DLP I have is capable of producing 1080i.

I have not yet tried to hook the HD A1 up via component cables so do not know if the issue goes away through component. It is on my list of things to try but I have not yet gotten around to doing it.

I have been watching a lot of upconverted DVD via the HDMI/DVI and cannot say that I have noticed the same issue, it seems to be specific to HD DVD's. Although admittedly, I have not been watching for it as much on the SD DVD's. I will keep an eye open for it and see if the issue also exists in SD DVD.

I have a couple of SD DVD and HD DVD's to compare with but slow load times make this a bit of a chore...

Dave

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
I originally has an HDMI cable with an adapter, which worked ok...for a while. About a month ago, I started to get video drop outs [shooting blue and white horizontal lines, several times during a film]. I changed it to a high end dedicated cable and the problem disappeared. Most likely the problem was in the connector pins to the adapter which did not have much support as it protruded out of the tv. I may not be accurate here, but I think the picture is also a bit sharper. I have not experienced any pixalization or maccroblocking although I did have some problems with the original software. I'm now running 2.0.

Steve

Dave>h

Second Unit
Thanks for the comments.

Steve, what type of TV do you have that has the DVI connection?

Didn't get around to trying components this weekend but maybe one night this week I will give it a try and see if that helps.

Any suggestions on where to get a good HDMI to DVI cable?

Thanks,

Dave

Stevepro1

Grip
Real Name
Steve
It's a 3 or 4 year old pre-DLP rear projection Cinema Series 1080i. I going to update my system shortly with a 46" 1080p Toshiba plasma when it becomes available. I have never had any handshake issues between the A1 and the tv, possibly because they are boyh Toshiba products.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks