What's new

HDMI Pass Thru Audio Diluted ???????????? (1 Viewer)

bobh33

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Thanks again in advance!!!! Does my audio make the same loop that video does on my HT-S894 Onkyo system?? I have HDMI from DVD to AVR and from AVR to TV with optical coming back from TV to AVR. The AVR recognizes the HDMI, but am I losing some audio quality since it's pass thru??
Shoud I try another optical from DVD to AVR????

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The optical out on your TV will output DD 5.1 from the internal HD tuner only, all external sources are converted to 2.0 stereo by the TV. Unless you are using the TV's internal tuner, the optical out is useless. Even if you are using the internal tuner, you still need an optical/coax connection directly from the DVD to the AVR in order to get 5.1 surround.

bobh33

Grip
Real Name
Bob
Thanks Jeff! So my audio from DVD's is not as good as it could be using just the HDMI's? The AVR does recognize the 5.1 surround sound & HDMI when it's in DVD mode according to screen on the AVR. But you think the optical connection from DVD to AVR will be better? I just don't think I am getting the crispness & clarity from DVD's like I should on this system. Or as I have said before, do I have "champagne taste on a beer budget"?????

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks