What's new

HDMI connection question (1 Viewer)

Khai L

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Khai
Just a little confused about how HDMI connections will change my current setup.

My current setup is:
1) DVD video connected to TV via component cable.
2) DVD audio connected to A/V receiver via optical cable.

I understand that HDMI have digital uncompressed video and audio in the one cable. But what is the point of connecting my DVD player to my TV with HDMI if the audio part is pretty much wasted?

Wont I still need another HDMI cable from my DVD player to receiver for the audio? In this case, wouldnt the video part be wasted?

Or am I totally confused?

Hope you can help. Thanks,

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
If I'm not mistaken, the HDMI cable is digital from your dvd to tv. so if you have a digital tv there is no converting from analog to digital and possible signal loss. true, the audio signal is wasted but you wouldn't need an HDMI cable to your receiver just for audio. Optical would provide just as good of signal for audio. I'm going to be in a similar boat when I get my theater finished, so someone correct me if I'm wrong in my thinking.
I may have a A/V receiver that accepts 2 HDMI inputs with one output if the new 803 onyko is available soon.

Tom C

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Panny S77 HDMI out to my Sony 36XS955. There is an option in my Panny setup to turn off the audio on the HDMI out, which I have done. I run the digital audio out from my Panny to my Denon AVR-3300. Some day I'll upgrade to the 3806 or which ever Denon is out at the time and be able to run the HDMI through the Denon before going to the TV.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
True but the problem is with future formats where optical/coax won't work for the audio. It'll be HDMI only.

Ideally I think they are hoping we all use HDMI switching recievers which would explain why there are a plethora of them coming.

Mike Milillo

Stunt Coordinator
how far off in the future will this be?

So, it is a good idea to run an HDMI cable to your TV for the video, and use an optical or digital coax for your audio?

Brian Osborne

Stunt Coordinator
I think we are talking a long way off...
Even formats like Blu-Ray will be supported with HDMI as far as I can tell.
And it's not too much of a stretch for most to run an optical cable or other such audio.

wally

Second Unit

That's how I've got mine. DVI to HDMI out of a Dish 811 and into my Sony LCD audio through RCAs. Optical run to Denon AVR.

Two activities on the remote, Watch TV & Watch TV w/surround.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks