What's new

HD tuner question (1 Viewer)

Brian Warren

Stunt Coordinator
I was planning on a Mits 65869 which is an integrated set. Now i am not so sure. I want the flexability of Sat HD w/o getting another HD tuner.
1.Which tuners are avail that would do OTA, cable and SAT(integrated mits tuner only does OTA and cable)?

2.which are the best?

3.are there a shortage of tuners available and if so, when is the shortage to be over?

thanks
Brian

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1. All of the DirecTV HD receivers will do OTA and sat HD. If your cable HD is not scrambled, it will decode that also. Dish's model 6000 will do sat HD out of the box. Add a 8VSB module for OTA decoding for about $150. You will also need the 8PSK module for Discovery HD ($49 or free with a 1 year commitment to Discovery HD for around $95).
2. They all have their good and bad points. For DirecTV, the Hughes, Mitsu and Toshiba all seem to be the same box with a different label. Zenith and Sony each make their own box. RCA has the older model DTC-100. Samsung has some new models coming out soon. As I stated earlier, with Dish you only have the model 6000. Check out the HDTV Hardware section at AVS Forum for more info on all of these receivers.
3. Some of the D* receivers have been discontinued and the replacements haven't been announced.
4. No.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks