What's new

HD receiver, DIrecTV: new Panny Ct32HX41--now what???? (1 Viewer)

lissie

Agent
Hi, everyone has always been a great help here. My new adventure is I just bought a CT32Hx41. I need a HD receiver and DirectTV service and tivo. What would be my best opptions?

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No offense to the TiVo enthusiasts out there, but I would consider one of the Replay TV units.

As for HD-decoding options, there are many. Do you already have standard DirecTV?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If you aren't a DirecTV subscriber, there are still some "new subscriber" deals involving the DirecTivo. No offense to Jack, but the Replay is missing three features.

1. It has an analog to digital step so there is a loss of quality. The DirecTivo records the MPEG data stream directly from the satellite so there is no loss of quality.
2. The replay can record Dolby Digital. Since the DirecTivo is recording the data stream, it is recording in DD (when available).
3. The Replay is a single tuner box. The DirecTivo has two tuners. You can record two shows and watch a pre-recorded show or record a show and channel surf at the same time.

I'm not sure if the Replay is upgradable, but the DirecTivo can be upgraded to over 200 hours of recording time. This takes a little computer know-how or you can send it to a company that will do it for you. You will void your warranty doing this though.

There are fewer deals attached to the HD D* recievers so it's better to buy the D*Tivo first. Just remember to get the 18"x24" eliptical dish. You can order your Sat-C kit for Showtime HD after installation for less than $9.

-Robert

lissie

Agent
Thanks for your help!!!!! I have regular cable now and have never subscribed to Direct Tv. I'm just curious why do I get the Tivo first? Isn't the unit a combo ? Sorry as you can tell I have no idea what I'm doing...What are the best deals ??? Why is the eliptical dish better? And what is a Sat- C kit? Sorry about my lack of knowledge about all this! Again thanks!!! Lissie

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
what is a Sat- C kit?
It's a special LNB designed to get signals from the 110 satellite. D* receivers can only get signals from two satellites. To "look" at three, the Sat-C kit moves channels to a different frequency and combines them with the feed from 119. This LNB/combiner was not standard with the eliptical dish. It retails for around $50 but D* has been giving it away (with $8.59 FedEx 2nd day shipping) for Showtime HD customers if you agree to install it yourself. If you can't spare 30 seconds or can't work a screwdriver, they can arrange for a "professional" to install it for around $50.
-Robert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks