HD Olympic Games Opening Ceremony/Ongoing Coverage: What's Going On???

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jason_Els, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Standard def NBC is showing the opening games but NBC HD is showing Salt Lake events from two years ago!!! I DON'T WANT TO SEE BLOODY ICE SKATING!!!!

This SUCKS!!!

[c][​IMG] NBC [​IMG][/c]
    [c] [​IMG][/c]

OK, the guide is wrong. NBC's homepage says they'll start them in HD at 9pm EDT. So an hour delay. This inexplicable and just as stupid. This is why I don't watch network TV any more. How I long for the days of ABC's Olympic coverage.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

It's no better on their over-the-air regular resolution broadcast - they're putting commercials into the opening ceremony every few minutes. And Bob Costas and cohort yammered on about budget problems Greece was having in putting together the games... they should show some respect for the games and save their news reports for the news.

3. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

The one hour delay is really annoying. And them running the same damn Sony commercial is also annoying.

4. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

So I saw. Costas said the Parthenon, "Looked like the house of the wicked witch of the west", and then did the Miss Gulch bicycle theme! [​IMG]

I can't believe they're cutting to commercials either.

The director can't frame a long shot nor use fade or split screen either.

This is sooo poor.

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

I'm enjoying the HDTV spectacle, though the mute button has been my salvation in some spots. Al and Mary are really bad as commentators of the opening ceremony for the Olympics.

6. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

Is this a time delay thing on HD? I've got DirecTV and I'm not seeing anything on channel 84. What gives?

7. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Costas was worse on regular NBC.

And what is with this BS "tour of Greece" crap while they're doing the parade of nations?? OK, Greece is lovely, we know that. Show it to us when the opening ceremonies AREN'T going on.

8. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I'm so pissed off at Costas and Couric for talking over Bjork's performance. [​IMG]

And the commercial breaks... UGH.

I don't remember the last few opening ceremonies being this poorly presented on TV. Shame on you, NBC.

9. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I'm sorry, Katie and Bob, but would you mind shutting the fuck up?

10. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Why did NBC just replay the last 20-30 minutes on their HDTV feed?

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

Hmm, were all of those kids listening to the anthem on their iPods at the same time they were singing it? That's some coordination. [​IMG]

12. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

Because they're incompetent? I couldn't believe they didn't notice this and correct it. They cut away to a bumper and that's when it happened. Somebody needs to be fired.

Why are they cutting away to ONE commercial, playing a bumper, then going back?? It's been the same commercial now 10 times during the whole thing. I will never buy a Sony TV.

13. Michael Preyer

I, too, am seeing only Ice Skating on the HD broadcast, so I had to switch to SD just to see the opening ceremony. That REALLY pisses me off considering my main reason for upgrading to HDTV on Cox in San Diego was to watch the games (and OPENING CEREMONY) in HDTV.

14. Randy Brist

Randy Brist Agent

Here in Lafayette Indiana on Insight Communications cable we DID NOT get the HD feed of the opening ceremony at all--at least it sure didn't look like high def to me. I called a neighbor who has has HD and he said the same thing. It was the usual zoomed standard def image from the Indianapolis NBC affiliate. The local cable company has been hyping their HD service and the Olympics. Of course they were closed and I couldn't contact anyone. Does anyone have any idea what might have happened?

RandyB

15. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

More pretty shots of Greece.... no reason...... why continue with the games?..... wouldn't you like to see the same Travel Channel shots over and over and over again for two minutes for NO reason???

Oh wait. There's a promo. Yup that was worth MISSING THE FIREWORKS!

16. Jan H

Jan H Cinematographer

It's to protect us, my fellow Americans, in case we see something that might frighten us. [​IMG]

17. Michael Preyer

I just checked the NBC website schedule of olympic coverage to see if the competitions will also be delayed by one hour on HDTV. What I found was actually worse. The NBC-HD schedule simply shows the opening ceremony repeating over and over all day tomorrow while regular NBC is showing sports like diving, swimming, volleyball and gymnastics. WTF??

18. Randy Brist

Randy Brist Agent

At 11:30 Indiana time NBC began replaying the opening ceremony in HD. This is very confusing...but at least no Katie or Bob.

RandyB

19. Doug Miller

Doug Miller Supporting Actor

Doug Miller
    I don't know about yours, but my audio had an echo for the whole thing too on the HD broadcast. I was peeved -- forced to watch the SD of what I thought was a really cool opening cerimony. I watched about a half hour of it again in HD, but got bored and changed it. Lame, lame, lame. If anything the frigging HD should have been first .

Does anyone else find it odd that Sony is advertising their HD sets every 5 minutes... on the HD channel. If I'm watching it in HD.... don't I already have HD? Odd choice of commercial.

NBC really dropped the ball on this one.

Doug

20. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Screenwriter

Its a good thing CBC ran this earlier in the day (live I think). A presentation with far more integrity.