What's new

HD newbie here..confused help please! (1 Viewer)

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Forum,
I’m new to the HD world, so if this all basic, please forgive me. My question is this. If I buy a HD Direct TV receiver with the correct dish, and an antennae (for local HD broadcasting), will I still get HD programming that is not broadcasted locally in HD, but is broadcast national in HD? Example, my local ABC affiliate broadcast some primetime programming in HD, my local Fox affiliate does not, but the national Fox network does broadcast in HD (i.e. The X-Files is broadcasted in HD). Will I be able to pick up that national Fox broadcast that is being sent out in HD or does my local affiliate HAVE to broadcast in HD in order for me to receive the signal. If this is not clear let me know and I’ll try to clear it up a little, but this shows how confused I am. And yes I do have an HD Ready TV (KV-36XBR400 WEGA). Thanks in advanced.
-Marshawn
“You do not care about HD, because you haven’t seen it!”

Mike I

Supporting Actor
You will not get the national network HD feed thru satellite..For the most part you have to get them thru your local affiliates OTA...The one exception is CBS just worked a deal with dish network to carry the CBS network east and west coast HD feed..However there are a lot of regulations on who will be allowed to receive these feeds and who will not....
------------------

MarshawnM

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
Again, you have the all the answers! So at this time which of the satellite providers is offering more HD content, Direct TV or Dish Network? Also, is there a website that I can go to and find who and what is being offered OTA-HD in my area? Thanks!
-Marshawn
"You don't care about HD, because you haven't seen it!"

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Currently Dish network is the clear leader when it comes to HD content...If the buy out of direct tv by dish network goes thru, this could effect current direct tv receivers also...
GO to titantv.com
punch in your address or zip and it will give you the status the digital transition of local affiliates in your area...
------------------

Bruce N

Second Unit
Keep in mind though, just because your local station is broadcasting a digital signal doesn't mean that you will see any high definition programming. FOX may broadcast X-Files in widescreen but it is NOT HD! FOX does not have any HD material and has no plans to produce any.
Bruce
------------------
"Why do I sense we've picked up another pathetic lifeform?"

Marque D

Stunt Coordinator
Actually this fall Fox will produce most of its shows in 720p but will only pass a 480p signal to their local affiliates.
confused.gif
furious.gif

Fox Digital switching sitcoms to DTV
"35mm film to 720p 24f/s production"
JVC, FOX in HD production deal

Eram Syed

Grip
where does it say that Fox will transmit in 480p even though they will produce in 720p?
------------------
Eram
---------------------
TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish 6000 + 8VSB, PVR 501, Dish 301, Receiver=Marantz SR5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks