What's new

Newbie with questions! (1 Viewer)

Costa A

Auditioning
Hi everyone I just signed up. Great to be a member here these boards are great!

I have a question and I hope someone can help me. I am moving soon and considering the setup below. I own some of the equipment and soon to purchase the rest. Here is a description of the setup.

-Row of 4 seats in front, 4 seats in back elevated 12”.
-In front of each row I am having a unit built that will house the small LCD screens, 1 in front of each seat, 4 refrigerated coolers(2 each row) and possibly a microwave in each row.

Here is the equipment:

Video:
1 x Sony 70” XBR Grand Wega LCD RP KDF70XBR950
8 x Sharp 13” LCD TV LC13E1U
1 x 19" Samsung LCD Monitor

I am also considering another 42" Plasma.

Audio:
Bose Lifestyles 28 (has a dvd player as well)

PC:
Gateway FMC-901X Media Centre PC

Gaming:
XBOX
PS2
Gamecube

Satellite Receiver:
HD Receiver for now, will purchase the HD receiver with PVR when it comes to Canada.

How do I hook all this up to be able to view either a satellite broadcast, video game, dvd or pc on any monitor I choose. How much cable will this require? I think I will also need more satellite receivers, correct?

The main goal is multi channel viewing. So I need to get a receiver for each monitor? This was a fun project and now it is becoming confusing.

Help me out please, thanks!

chris_everett

Second Unit
You need some sort of video router. Crestron is probably the first call company for this sort of thing. You've got 6 sources and another planned and 11 destinations planned. That's a big system, and you may want to call a pro a/v consultant. There's a couple that advertize here on the HTF.

Sounds like it's going to be very, very cool when it's done.

Also, If I were you, I'd drop the Bose, and get a more powerful audio system.

Costa A

Auditioning
Thanks for your reply Chris, I looked at the Crestron website and I see all kinds of stuff I want to buy! lol:D

I already have the Bose Lifestyles system and I thought it was pretty good sound. May not be that powerful but the quality is excellent. What would you recommend?

JayPo

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Costa, sounds great ... when do we get to see some pictures???

Just my $0.02, but I would have to agree with Chris. Though the lifestyle system probably seems nice and clean I would step up the audio side to match that great list of video gear. I started down the Bose route myself, strictly because of WAF, but switched midway because of advice on this forum and never looked back. I'm happy that I did because I really didn't know what I was missing.

I would start by looking at some AVRs that do everything that you want to do and if a clean look is what you are after, there are many ways to get around that including in ceiling/ wall speakers. Once you start researching down these roads it will open up many more options for you and hopefully expose you to some great sound.

Good luck.

chris_everett

Second Unit
There's lots of great speakers out there, IMHO, it's largly a matter of personal taste. In a room of that size though, I think you will be much happier with a good deal more power.

With video at a level that your talking about, a lifestyle system is a bit like a toyota engine in a Ferrari. They are a speaker designed for a high WAF (wife acceptance factor), and they do a fair job of sounding quite good, given the tiny size, but there's no way that they can beat the power and sound of larger drivers pushing more air.

Personally, I have JBL studio series speakers (6" three way, bookshelf, all 7 channels worth and since discontinued) and will be buying an SVS subwoofer. As I have a Pro sound background, I really like the JBL's, but they not for everybody.

As for amps, I think anything with enough power for your selected speakers should be fine. Outlaw Audio, another forum sponsor, is quite populer, and when I upgrade my current Pioneer, I'll probably buy seperates from them. There's much more info to be had on specific components in the respective forums.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Costa: since you are in canada, I would look hard at canadian brands like Paradigm or Axiom. They provide stunning values in the US, and they are even cheaper in canada, and don't even bother comparing them with bose. Go take a listen with music, you will be amazed.

I think video distribution and/or switching is what you'll need. You may need some pretty custom help with this project, though it does look like quite the project! :emoji_thumbsup:

Costa A

Auditioning
Thanks for all your help guys. I would post some pictures of my designs but I am unable to post links until I have 15 posts, so if anyone else can put them in this thread for me that would be ok, otherwise I have to wait for 15.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks