What's new

HD-DVD Title Pricing Guide Announced for October Releases- (1 Viewer)

Spero D

Second Unit
Can't wait to get HD-DVD titles when the are released in October. Hurry up Blu-Ray :)

February 4th-

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
a $5 difference between SD and HD would go a long way for me in stoking some enthusaism for getting into it earlier than i had anticipated.
but after all the problems i am currently having with my a/v reciever (which is en route back to me from the service center for the second time in 4 months as i type this) i am definitely going to be waiting until the players are on their second generation before i buy one.
and of course, i would rather pick up a player that is dual format but thats probably 2007 or beyond (for a reasonably priced one at least).
i used to think that the majority of titles i wanted to see were from Warner, Paramount, Uni, etc...but lately i've been thinking of more and more Columbia and MGM stuff i would want to see.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
Thats great news but, will there be any players out by October? Whats the point in buy the disc if you can't watch them. Although, I did buy 3 DVDs a month before I got my first player back in 1997. Has anyone seen any info on players coming out?

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I can't wait to start buying this stuff!

The sooner the better.

Blue-Ray better get their but in gear.

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
Is that how much they will sell in Japan? If so that is very inexpensive. I'm used to buying titles at 5,000-10,000 yen for regular DVD about 2,500 for discount DVD. Or is that the price for the US converted to yen?

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
That price for discs aint bad at all. Guess it helps when they can use the same production facilities. Now just lets see how much the decks cost

capt

Britton

Screenwriter
With pricing this low and the number of titles planned, I wonder if this will win the war for HD-DVD before it even begins. I just wonder how many people will mistakenly buy a HD-DVD for their DVD player.

DanFe

Second Unit
Wonder what this will do to region coding? Probably still have to buy an all region HD-DVD or Bluray.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas

They'll have to make the packaging a different size or shape to counter this problem.

clayton b

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they keep the packaging the same shape and size, just so storage doesn't become a pain.

With titles at this price, so long as they players come out at a decent price point it's going to be difficult not to bite the bullet and buy into the new format. If it weren't for the impending format war I would say that this is a very exciting time for home theater.

Heinz W

Second Unit

My sentiments exactly. After seeing beautiful HD, OAR trailers for two movies during the Super Bowl I am really getting stoked for this. Fall can't come soon enough for me. With the pricing where I expected it to be for software I'm reasonably sure the hardware will follow suit, certainly well under $500 for entry. I'm jumping come what may.

The formats biggest plus for me is the fact that HD-DVD has Warner's. It's necessary to have if for no other reason than Warner's vast catalog. That pretty much seals the deal for me. Can't wait to replace all those blurry DVD's with nice, shiny new blows away DVD's image quality HD-DVD's! ;)

CraigL

Screenwriter
I love how everyone keeps mentioning the visual clarity but no one mentions audio. THAT is what has me excited. Just the thought of getting my LD audio (or close to it) back sends me in a tizzy. :)

Rutgar

Second Unit
I don't know about the audio quality on LD. But I get really annoyed by the distorted dialog that occurs on so many DVD's. I too, hope this is corrected on HD-DVD.

Heinz W

Second Unit
I hope it has at least SACD/DVD-A quality, with minimal compression of course. I'm dying to see the actual specs.

CraigL

Screenwriter

It was uncompressed PCM tracks. They were absolutely fantastic and blow DVD's audio out of the water. I'm amazed at how great everything sounded on them by comparison.

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
Nice! My Toshiba SD-9200 died a couple months back, so I bought an entry level Sony to use temporary until I could decide on what new player to buy, but now it looks like I will be waiting for an HD-DVD player. :D

I really think if Blu-Ray doesn't get into the market with HD DVD, they're in trouble. The HD-DVD folks are planning an October launch, just in time for the holidays...so unless Blu-Ray is right there with them, they're going to be giving HD-DVD a huge headstart. For marketing reasons alone, that would be killer...you don't have to teach consumers "HD-DVD," it's self-explanatory. Blu-Ray, you have to brand the bejeezuz out of for people to remember it. That'll take months and months of advertising bombardment, in itself.

If the picture and sound quality is going to be the same on both formats, which it sounds like it is, then I am completely format-agnostic on this one. I want high-definition DVD and I want it now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks