What's new

HD DVD players (1 Viewer)

KurtisE

Auditioning
I am interested in getting a DVD player to complement my HD television and would appreciate some help from those in "the know". Please forgive my ignorance...I am just beginning to learn. I am wanting this for movie viewing purposes first and foremost.

From what I can tell Samsung is making a bit of a buzz with their new HD931 which claims to offer a High-def picture when used with a DVI cord (which is compatible with my set). Can someone please tell me if this is the only DVD player currently available in the U.S. that has this capability. I found a model (DVD975SA) made by Phillips that seems to offer the same performance, but, I might be misreading the description. HELP!

This all started when I hooked my new HD set up to my first generation DVD player and it was NOT looking like it did in the store. The next thing you know Dolby Pro-Logic will be out of date and then I will really be fired up.....

I would appreciate some opinions.

Kurt

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Samsung is making a bit of a buzz with their new HD931 which claims to offer a High-def picture when used with a DVI cord (which is compatible with my set).
Just for definition sake, the Samsung upconverts the standard DVD picture to 720p or 1080i. So, it's not technically HD-DVD.

I've been looking at the Samsung as well. One thing you need to know that doesn't seem to be clear in their literature is your TV's DVI input needs to be HDCP capable before you can get the upconverted HD signal.

Since the signal sent to the TV is purely digital... you should see an improvement in picture quality. I think I'll put one on my Christmas list and see what happens.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I have not seen this player in action, but a couple of things:

Dave is correct in that this is not an HD DVD player (since there are no specifications for HD DVD yet, there are no players). This Samsung (and s similar Bravo DVD player) convert the DVD (480 lines) to 1080i internally. A potential problem with this DVD player is that the conversion for letterboxed DVDs (non-anamorphic), is that the whole 16:9 image is upconverted, resulting in black bars on all four sides of the picture.

Most TVs lock into full mode when they detect a 1080i signal, meaning that you cannot use a ‘zoom’ mode to fill your screen.

Some reports indicate that both the Panasonic and Bravo don’t have particularly good pictures when you switch from the DVI output to the analog, component outputs.

These are reports, I have no personal experience.

It seems like a great player for the right DVDs however.

KurtisE

Auditioning
So there is a possibility that the player might NOT do justice to all my Letterbix version DVD's...i.e. the whole picture might have black borders? The sales guy failed to mention that.

Thanks for HDCP capability tip. I checked-and it is.

If I can get the salesman at Bestbuy to hook one of these up to an HD set at the store I will do it...and purchase ONLY after I am remarkably impressed.

I will post a note and let you know how it turns out.

Kurt

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I bought the Momitsu. Not only is 1080i through Component breathtaking... :) but letterboxed (non-anamorphic) DVD's CAN be zoomed in by the DVD player. (Or in my case, by the projector as well..)
Throw in a Macrovision on/off switch and the fact that the player can be set to "region free"... and you get one great DVD player!

Some people have had problems with the Bravo D1 and the Momitsu in terms of loading, not me. I clean every DVD before use and have yet to have a problem. (fingers crossed) ;)

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I saw the 931 used with the dvi in on a plazma at BestBuy. I use a HOLO3D vid scaler and an sdi Modded panny rp82 to scale dvd's to 1080i.

The samsung did not look too impressive compared to what I do. The HDCP thing is no joke, so make sure you can take the 931 back if your tv gives you a black screen or does not improve the picture.

There are also some supposedly hd dvd players coming out that will allow uoconverting fom the component ins as well which are not hdcp compliant so you might want to wait for one of those.

Peter m.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
There are also some supposedly hd dvd players coming out that will allow uoconverting fom the component ins as well which are not hdcp compliant so you might want to wait for one of those.
Like the Momitsu. :emoji_thumbsup:
(Which has been out for some time now)

KevinFord

Stunt Coordinator
Kurtis,

I suggest taking a look at the following thread. Thread

I bought the Sammy HD931 and took it back on day 30. I had it connected to the DVI-HDCP connector on my Panny 53TW53. It was not as good as my XBox (which is non-progressive) even, with a variety of content. In the first day or two, I thinnk I thought it was better because I paid $300 for it. After I started reviewing it objectively, and had some friends look at it (link here to my review)[/url] , I really decieded it wasn't worth it.

Now I have a Panasonic DMR-E80H on the way. I just placed the order today.

Hope it helps.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Kevin,
As I mentioned before, I saw it hooked up to a Plasma at BestBuy and was not impressed compared to a computer based scaler that I use. It must have the cheapest Faroudja chip available.

Actually I'm suprised Faroudja would let that chip out the door. I guess Samsung wanted something cheap and dirty with a belief that "you can fool all of the people all of the time"

Peter m.

KurtisE

Auditioning
Thanks for all the good information. I suspect that this line of DVD players is a good thing in the making, but, I think I will stick to progressive scan for now. I was not able to view one at BestBuy, but, the salesguy told me that he was not too impressed with the Samsung.

Kurt

KevinFord

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, my impression, in my 30 day trial of the HD931 was that the only thing it really had going for it was hype, especially with a (I can't stress this enough) TERRIBLE remote, both in the range, angle forgiveness, and lack of buttons.. I couldn't believe that the chapter skip AND seek functions share the same two buttons. I was CONSTANTLY skipping chapters accidentally when I was trying to seek forward. And no button to control HD Mode (480/720/1080). It was a terribly weak offering. CAN'T WAIT TO GET MY PANNY DMR-E80H. Hopefully mid-next-week. :D I'll report on it then.

Kevin

Liam_Eldeelio

Auditioning
TechTV dot com has a good review of the Samsung, as well as a review of a competitor from V Inc., which is actually the cheaper, better "HD" DVD option.

I can't post the URL yet as I'm a new member. But go to TechTV dot com, and search for "DVD Players for Video Snobs" and you'll find the article.

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Liam,
I read the online review. Please be careful how you word your post regarding the review.

Tech tv thought the best thing about the unit was the remote but they basically say the unit stinks.

Peter m.

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Paul, I ordered mine from Hong Kong.
I noticed that you live in Ottawa, if you want to come and check it out just email me.

Mike
Kyser

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks